Thread: [SOLVED] Internet share between Ubuntu and Arch Linux

Beans

[SOLVED] Internet share between Ubuntu and Arch Linux

Hi,

As the title says, I'm trying to share an internet connection between my Ubuntu and Arch Linux boxes. Ubuntu gets internet through wireless and I want it to share with Arch through Ethernet. I've done it previously with success (with other computers) but for some reason I can't get it done this time.

Ubuntu gets wireless internet through wlan0 (it's an USB adapter) and connects through eth0 with an Ethernet cable to another eth0 in Arch

Here's a diagram of what I mean

router ))) wireless (((wlan0-Ubuntu-eth0<---Ethernet--->eth0-Arch

What I've done:
    1. I enabled (I think) packet forward in Ubuntu by uncommenting at /etc/sysctl.conf the line
      Code:
      net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1
    2. I tried to reload the settings with sudo sysctl -p but I've rebooted it since then so that's probably not an issue.
    3. Both computers have the same DNS. In the arch box I went to /etc/resolv.conf and entered the same values I have in Ubuntu.
    4. I made a connection between both computers by entering, in Ubuntu ,
      Code:
      sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    5. In Arch I setted Ubuntu IP (192.168.0.1) as gateway and gave him 192.168.0.2 as his IP.
    6. In Ubuntu I entered
      Code:
      sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE
      which, if I understand correctly what says in the man pages, will forward the packets from Arch to wlan0.

The result:
    • Both computers can ping each other.
    • Can't ping anything else in Arch Linux.
    • I don't think the problem is in the Arch since it's connected to Ubuntu, probably something that I missed in Ubuntu.

Can someone see where I'm going wrong? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by carandraug; August 10th, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: adding solved to title

Beans

Re: [solved] Internet share between Ubuntu and Arch Linux

I mananged to solve my problem with the help from nDuff at #ubuntu

after a look at "iptables -L -v -t nat" and "iptables -L -v", he noticed the counts as zero which pointed to a problem with the gateway in the Arch Box. And so it was. In the Arch Linux I did use the correct IP as gateway but I forgot to remove the "! from the line
    Code:
    ROUTES=(!gateway)
    The "!" HAS to go if you want it to work. Can't believe I missed it.
    Last edited by carandraug; August 20th, 2008 at 08:24 PM.