Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonding - 2 ISP and failover

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Bonding - 2 ISP and failover

Redundancy could be achieved with weighted routes, combined with some kinda of track IP function. could you explain a bit more about how this it set up, whats connected to what, what other equipments involved, ect...
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron User

Beans

Basicly its as the ascii art shows, local 10/100 nated lan, the linux box acting as a nat/firewall/failover switch for the local lan for internet access to 2 different ISPs.
    This gives the clients on the local lan nearly 99.9% access to the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After seeing other peoples responses. I Still think you should go for the DrayTek route!! (or something like it!!!!)

You are making TOO much work for yourself. If you do not know how to set one up then how can you keep it running when the fallover fails??

By all means keep trying this but make sure you have a WORKING backup if you can't keep things running!!

I'm not trying to belittle you're experience! far from it! it's wise to have a working solution in place while you learn everything you need to get it working using a Linux box!!

If your Company needs 24/7 connectivity (I've worked there so I know what I'm talking about!)
    Then don't endanger that uptime by playing about with things you don't know 100%. Get a temp solution that works ($200 is a good investment in ANY project!!) and then use that to build your confidence in the Linux Box route!

Once you know what to do, you can impress the Bosses and they will be more likely to let you do what you will with the network!
    Laters...
    Sol
    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere" User numbers: Ubuntu 23772 Linux 477911

Beans

draytek looks good, we'll test one out.

still want to try to build one using linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

yeah i agree the dreytek could probably do it. but to have some fun with the linux box would be cool . Will the linux box recieve both the public IP addresses on its NICs? im assuming theres a third NIC on the server connected to the internal switch?

If so, the easiest way to do it would be to have two default routes, one with a metric of 10 pointing to ISPA and one with a metric of 20 pointing to ISPB, the lower metric route would win. This means that in the event that the NICA went down (i.e the ethernet cable broke between your server and the modem) the traffic would flip to ISPB. putting the routes in the route table is easy enough
    Code:
    route add -net 0.0.0.0/0 gw <ISPA gateway address> metric 10
    route add -net 0.0.0.0/0 gw <ISPB gateway address> metric 20
    Three problems exists as i see it.
    1, what happens when the net connection fails on the modem and doesnt take down the server nic?
    2, what happens if the ISP is having routing issues but all link statuses stay up?
    3, in the event that ISPA returns from a failure, how to swing the traffic BACK to ISPA?

One possible way to cure the first two problems would be to have a script run that pings certain addresses on the net, if they fail to respond then you could have the script take the interface down, thereby forcing the failover.
    Last edited by fwre01; August 12th, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron User

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12