Thread: [SOLVED] dvd playback

Beans

Exclamation [SOLVED] dvd playback

i am about to install hardy 64 on a friends core 2 duo
    do i need libdvdcss to playback store bought dvd's?????
    Do i need to use hardy 64 at all on a core2 duo what is the benefit over Hardy i386???
    Thanks for the help.
    D

Beans

Re: dvd playback

Quote Originally Posted by DarinB View Post
    i am about to install hardy 64 on a friends core 2 duo
    do i need libdvdcss to playback store bought dvd's?????
    Do i need to use hardy 64 at all on a core2 duo what is the benefit over Hardy i386???
    Basically yes libdvdcss is needed to play most commercial DVD's.
    But as for the choice of 64 vs 32 bit version of hardy I would go 32, things still need to be done in the 64 bit version to make things work they way the should without tweaking... like a miracle.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yes, you will need to install libdvdcss to play any commercially purchased DVD. CSS is Content Scrambling System that DVD's use to protect the content. libdvdcss is the decrypting portion that allows your player to see the actual content.

You do NOT need a 64 bit operating system on a core2duo. That processor will run both 32 and 64 bit operating systems. Advantages of 64-bit include more speed (depending upon function) and ability to address 4GB of RAM or more. The downside is driver support, the code takes about 2x as much RAM so you actually should run with more, and some apps have to run in a compatibility mode which doesn't always lead to the best experience.

My suggestion: Stick with 32-bit for awhile longer yet.
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.04, AMD64 X2 4600+, Asus M2NPV-VM, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 7600GT

Laptop: Ubuntu 9.04, Dell Latitude E6400, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 160M, Dell 1397 Wireless.

Beans

Question Re: dvd playback

will she get the same performance???
    all she really dose is browse the web play videos and write emails
    an occasional document????
    she was on gutsy but i tried to upgrade her but it failed now a have to do a clean install of hardy i burned a 8.04.1 of both amd64 and i386...
    Thanks for the help.
    D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DarinB View Post
    will she get the same performance???
    all she really dose is browse the web play videos and write emails
    an occasional document????
    she was on gutsy but i tried to upgrade her but it failed now a have to do a clean install of hardy i burned a 8.04.1 of both amd64 and i386...
    Yeh performance wont be an issue no matter what you do, though the 32 bit kernel does have its limitations such as going over 4 GB of memory but hopefully in the near future a 64bit system will be a viable option as soon as certain companies get their acts straight *cough*adobe*hack* *cough*microsoft*hack*
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

thanks that clears it up for me.
    she only has 2Gb of ram and will never add more, so for her needs 32bit system will save me a lot of headaches and phone calls.
    thanks again.
    Thanks for the help.
    D