Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Call for testing empathy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Call for testing empathy

I will test. I do think emesene should replace pidgin as the msn client.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    I will test. I do think emesene should replace pidgin as the msn client.
    I very much doubt that the core developers will even consider using emsene (or asmn etc.) due to the fact that they only support a single (closed) protocol. I think we should be pushing more and more towards using open protocols like Jabber (which means using Pidgin, Empathy or any other IM client that supports these), not sidling out into a single, closed protocol.

A big change like this is always going to meet with objections ("Its ugly, no we cant move"), but is it honestly too difficult to fire up synaptic or gnome-terminal and install the app of your choice? I know a lot of people that are for the shift and a lot of people that are against the move.

Unfortunately Empathy has seemed quite buggy for me (started using it in Intrepid last night) and it has crashed 3/4 times, all of which have been picked up by apport and sent to Launchpad (where there are quite a lot of (tele|em)pathy bugs.
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityCircuit View Post
    Since it doesn't seem to support IRC out of the box, it would seem that inclusion of this might require including XChat as well or other changes.
    Uploaded a fix for the IRC bug. Will be in your next empathy update.
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just got an update to Empathy...
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ / ASUS M2NPV-VM / Corsair 8GB PC2-6400 / 4.5TB RAID10-LVM / 3TB LVM - Ubuntu 11.04
    Asus Eee PC 1000HE - Crucial 2GB PC-6400 - Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bobbocanfly View Post
    I very much doubt that the core developers will even consider using emsene (or asmn etc.) due to the fact that they only support a single (closed) protocol. I think we should be pushing more and more towards using open protocols like Jabber (which means using Pidgin, Empathy or any other IM client that supports these), not sidling out into a single, closed protocol.
    While I agree to this (was also on my mind) there is the fact that the vast majority of users are windows-based. Ideally we should all use an open protocol, but then ideally linux should have a much greater market share as well. Msn is the standard for im, and because of the user base it will remain the standard for im for the forseeable future. Pidgin is .. adequate at best, buggy at worst to the extent that several people I've helped with ubuntu complained about the problems with their "msn".

Yes, installing emesene is a 10-second job, but for a new user it is more of a 30-minute research job. And, as im clients are something a majority of the younger demographic uses a lot, ubuntu should be shipped with a working, effective and simple one.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm reserving my judgement until I see how empathy handles file transfer (which I think is coming soon). For me, pidgin has never worked properly with transfer over xmpp, so if empathy works with this, it will definitely get my vote!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    While I agree to this (was also on my mind) there is the fact that the vast majority of users are windows-based. Ideally we should all use an open protocol, but then ideally linux should have a much greater market share as well. Msn is the standard for im, and because of the user base it will remain the standard for im for the forseeable future. Pidgin is .. adequate at best, buggy at worst to the extent that several people I've helped with ubuntu complained about the problems with their "msn".

Yes, installing emesene is a 10-second job, but for a new user it is more of a 30-minute research job. And, as im clients are something a majority of the younger demographic uses a lot, ubuntu should be shipped with a working, effective and simple one.
    Woah woah woah there-- MSN is NOT the standard for IM. It may be in your area, but in other places that isn't true. I know that in the USA almost everyone uses AIM, and in other places almost everyone uses Yahoo. Multi-protocol client is the way to go.

Beans

I feel your pain
    When the going gets weird the weird turn pro --Raoul

ubuntu is an ancient African word for "He who can't configure debian"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    Woah woah woah there-- MSN is NOT the standard for IM. It may be in your area, but in other places that isn't true. I know that in the USA almost everyone uses AIM, and in other places almost everyone uses Yahoo. Multi-protocol client is the way to go.
    Definitely! In fact most of my friends seem to use Yahoo! But multi-protocol is definitely the way to go IMO.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro

Serious fault in Empathy!

I have a chat open with contact A, and all went quiet until I get a message from B on the same conversation... "I'm confused"

Please try this out, I'm going to raise a bug! Will have to edit the convo though!
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ / ASUS M2NPV-VM / Corsair 8GB PC2-6400 / 4.5TB RAID10-LVM / 3TB LVM - Ubuntu 11.04
    Asus Eee PC 1000HE - Crucial 2GB PC-6400 - Ubuntu 11.04

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast