Thread: [SOLVED] Need to install network-manager without internet connection

Beans

[SOLVED] Need to install network-manager without internet connection

I put the installation cd in, added it as a repository with: "sudo apt-cdrom add" and tried "sudo apt-get install network-manager" and it said it has no installation candidates. apt-cache search didn't turn up anything either.

The same thing happened with ndiswrapper, which is a program I've already installed from the CD, so I guess I messed up the repos cache somehow. I tried apt-get update, but it didn't change anything.

Any help appreciated.
    Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600; ASUS P5N-E SLI; GeForce 7600GT; 2 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Ubuntu Feisty 7.06 and Window XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Need to install network-manager without internet connection

I'm looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

did you uncomment the cdrom within your /etc/apt/sources.list

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Network-manager is installed by default, you shouldn't have to install it. If you need to reinstall it because you think you messed up, that won't help. If you post your problem here, there probably is a way we can help you solve it. Remember Linux is not Windows, just because something doesn't work the way you expect to reinstalling won't fix it.

Jim

Beans

cdtech: Thanks for the suggestion, I tried uncommenting the cdrom, it didn't fix it.

cariboo907: I'm aware network-manager is installed by default, that's why I'm trying to get it off the CD. I uninstalled it however when I installed WICD. WICD is hanging when it tries to obtain an IP address, several google searches found other people with a similar problem on several forums with no one posting a solution. Instead of trying to fix it, I'd rather just go back to network-manager which was working just fine for me. Frankly, I asked a very strait forward question, so if you know the answer to it, I'd appreciate it if you tell me.

EDIT: Never mind. I forgot I could just connect on the command line and reinstall network-manager the normal way.
    Last edited by Sp4cedOut; August 10th, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600; ASUS P5N-E SLI; GeForce 7600GT; 2 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Ubuntu Feisty 7.06 and Window XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am facing the same situation now. I want to reinstall network-manager. Please help me do the same..

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Need to install network-manager without internet connection

Hi .

I tried "sudo apt-cdrom add" and tried "sudo apt-get install network-manager", but it was stil looking for http://ch.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...twork-manager/ and not in CDROM. So I downloaded network-manager on my other pc, transfered to ubuntu machine and did a dpkg --install network-manager*.deb and it said network-manager is successfully installed.

Now how can I get internet connection from I used to get a bar on the panel showing internet connection. Pls advice on how to proceed.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [SOLVED] Need to install network-manager without internet connection

I encountered the same problem as Sp4cedOut.

In order to fix this, I ran the following command:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/network-manager_*.deb
    After restarting Gnome it worked fine.