Thread: My ISP's DNS redirects me to SPAM

Beans

Exclamation My ISP's DNS redirects me to SPAM

Hi,

Everytime I get a browser error like a 404 I get redirected to this page:
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...8336452354.png

I tried deleting the dns entries but somehow it comes back each time... I think opendns can cure this as someone here in the forums already suggested to me but is this something that I should be concerned about for my internet connection? Is this ISP forcing spam to me by inserting bogus dns entries? What do you call this practice of disrupting dns?

I'm asking what it was because I'm thinking of switching ISP's, if this ISP is guilty of forcing me those dns then I'll tell them that so they can terminate my account easily.

Beans

Re: My ISP's DNS redirects me to SPAM

I use dnsmasq on my router, it has an option called "bogus-nxdomain". Basically, you do a dig +short to some address that you know to be re-directed, then assign the returned IP as a bogus-nxdomain.

A nx domain is a "Non Existant" domain.

Check out : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
    Hi,

Everytime I get a browser error like a 404 I get redirected to this page:
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...8336452354.png

I tried deleting the dns entries but somehow it comes back each time... I think opendns can cure this as someone here in the forums already suggested to me but is this something that I should be concerned about for my internet connection? Is this ISP forcing spam to me by inserting bogus dns entries? What do you call this practice of disrupting dns?

I'm asking what it was because I'm thinking of switching ISP's, if this ISP is guilty of forcing me those dns then I'll tell them that so they can terminate my account easily.
    Perhaps your ISP may be a victim of the DNS cache poisoning vulnerability that was there recently, in this case OpenDNS should fix it for you.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

ahhh 'dns cache poisoning', that seems to be a good term for it. Can this be prevented by my ISP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is this ISP forcing spam to me by inserting bogus dns entries?
    It may be more productive to contact the support line for your ISP and send them this screenshot to see if it's something they're doing or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't think the ISP would be doing this intentionally. What would be the benefit to them from sending people to this page? It does raise some questions about their competence though if they haven't identified and fixed this issue already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Either way he's going to find out some good info. If it's something they're doing, he should dump them. If their DNS servers are poisoned, he should dump them. If they can't recreate the problem, there's something funky on his machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You could use the OpenDNS nameservers instead, as suggested by PmDematogoda

http://www.opendns.com/

They are...

Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.