Thread: gnome-mount and hal

Beans

gnome-mount and hal

I'm trying to configure gnome to mount removable media/storage as read only.
    In /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi I have the following
    Code:
      <device> 
        <match key="block.is_volume" bool="true">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.ro" type="bool">true</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noexec" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.ro" type="bool">true</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noexec" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    Automount works great, but will not adhere to this policy setting. I would be grateful for any solutions or pointers to good documentation that would explain how best to achieve this!

As I understand it, udev handles device detection and hands it over to hal but also gnome-mount has a say in which mount options are used, but I can not find how this should be configured. Oh! yes I have also used gconf-editor with the storage keys to force various filesystem options, e.g. vfat/ntfs, as read only, even with removable media is still mounted read-write.

Beans

Re: gnome-mount and hal

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...nt/+bug/319061

I could never get HAL to work, but since HAL is going away, I wrote a udev rule to do the deed. In my case, I wanted noatime, in your case you would add "ro" as the remount option.

Beans

Re: gnome-mount and hal

Adding the following will work for mmc by editing the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi

Code:
    <match key="storage.bus" string="mmc">
    <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
    </match>
    Thanks to thefuf on another forum for posting this solution.