Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Fading Application

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Fading Application

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaldi Gloria View Post
    Please do the following.

1. Right click on the ubuntu symbol (apps menu) and choose edit menus.

2. Find Google Earth in that edit menus program. Right click on Google Earth and choose properties.

3. What does it write in the command box? Copy and paste here.

4. Also copy and paste it in a terminal and report back errors.

I'm also going out btw.
    Properties of command box: /home/clayton/google/-earth//googleearth %f

Terminal: clayton@clayton-desktop:~$ cd google-earth
    clayton@clayton-desktop:~/google-earth$ /home/clayton/google/-earth//googleearth %f
    bash: /home/clayton/google/-earth//googleearth: No such file or directory
    clayton@clayton-desktop:~/google-earth$
    Learning curve's are like life's curves,you will learn one way or the other!

Beans

OK. Let's try this:

1) Start synaptic. Find google earth. Make a note of which version is installed (4.2 or 4.3). Right click and choose completely remove. If it uninstalls properly then proceed with step 2.

2) Delete the google earth folder in your home folder (if it exists).

3) Delete the .googleearth folder in your home folder (if it exists). Note that the files that start with a dot are hidden and you need to press CTRL+H to see the hidden files.

4) Check if the GE item is still there in the apps menu. If it's still there then start the menu editor and delete it.

5) Start synaptic. Install GE the version 4.3 if you had 4.2 before and install 4.2 if you had 4.3 before.

6) Start a terminal and give the command

Code:
    googleearth
    and copy and paste the result if you get an error.

7) Also copy and paste the result of the command

Code:
    whereis googleearth

Beans
    Distro

Ok I have uninstalled everything and downloaded thru synaptic and got version 5.2 (Debian) on my desktop. What is the terminal command to install it? I have already marked it to allow execute permission.

Synaptic installed it but it is not showing up. I have not been able to find where it installed. I hope I am not confusing you because at this point I am!! Thanks
    Last edited by retiree; August 10th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    Ok I have uninstalled everything and downloaded thru synaptic and got version 5.2 (Debian) on my desktop. What is the terminal command to install it? I have already marked it to allow execute permission.

Synaptic installed it but it is not showing up. I have not been able to find where it installed. I hope I am not confusing you because at this point I am!! Thanks
    There is no GE 5.2 out there. There is 4.2 and 4.3 beta. Where did you get 5.2 from?

I thought I asked you to install using medibuntu repos but I guess I didn't clearly. Let me quote it from the thread I mentioned above:

-------------------------------------------

GE is available in the medibuntu repos:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Follow the howto there to add medibuntu to your repo list. If you have ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron then these are the commands:

Code:
    sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
    Now you can install GE using synaptic:

system menu > admin > synaptic

-------------------------------------------

Do you have problems installing with synaptic? First add medibuntu as mentioned above. Open synaptic, search for GE, right click GE 4.3 and choose install. Then press the check sign to install.

Once you install it you should give the commands in steps 6 and 7 in the above post.

I'm also going to bed now. It's 2am here. Goodnight.

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry I probably wasted some of your time in your trying to help me.I didn't realize there was such a time frame difference in our post. When you signed off at 2 am, it was 6 pm here,I realized there was a 8 hour difference. It is people like you that keeps Linux alive and growing, and willing to help others. You are to be commended for all of your efforts, and I do sincerely appreciate the help.

BTW I am in the US and my setup of Ubuntu downloads from US servers.That is the reason my version was 5.2, downloaded from synaptic.I did take a look at Medibuntu and I will bookmark it.
    After I uninstalled all of GoogleEarth and reinstalled from synaptic it says it installed, but I have not been able to find the folder where it installed to. Terminal search or find file search did not find it either.I do have the file from earth.google.com on my desktop as a .bin file and will try to install from there. Thanks again for the help, Retiree

Beans

I'm sorry I probably wasted some of your time in your trying to help me.I didn't realize there was such a time frame difference in our post. When you signed off at 2 am, it was 6 pm here,I realized there was a 8 hour difference. It is people like you that keeps Linux alive and growing, and willing to help others. You are to be commended for all of your efforts, and I do sincerely appreciate the help.
    No problem. Glad to help.

BTW I am in the US and my setup of Ubuntu downloads from US servers.That is the reason my version was 5.2, downloaded from synaptic.
    OK. I realised what's going on. You're installing this:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/googleearth-package

This is not google earth itself but "utility to automatically build a Debian package of Google Earth". I don't know much about this package. GE is NOT available in synaptic unless you add medibuntu repos.

I suggest you remove everything related to GE, add medibuntu repos and then install GE 4.2 or GE 4.3 using synaptic.

The latest version of GE is 4.3 (beta) even if you live in the US. So don't waste anymore time with that 5.2 thing because it is not GE.

Medibuntu repos is easy to add. Use those commands in a terminal. Then open synaptic, search and install GE 4.3.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so much for your patience and help!!!
    I did add medibuntu to repositories and downloaded GoogleEarth and it now works great!! I hope you have a Blessed day
    Now all I need to do is mark this thread solved. Thanks again, Retiree

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    Thank you so much for your patience and help!!!
    I did add medibuntu to repositories and downloaded GoogleEarth and it now works great!! I hope you have a Blessed day
    Now all I need to do is mark this thread solved. Thanks again, Retiree
    You're welcome mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12