Thread: Tomcat can't connect to MySQL

Beans

Tomcat can't connect to MySQL

Mine is Ubuntu 8.10, Tomcat5.5 and MySQL5.0. I found if I start tomcat with /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 start, it cannot connect to MySQL database and throws an exception "Communications link failure". But if I use /usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin/startup.sh, tomcat works well. I want to make init.d/tomcat5.5 support MySQL but I don't know how to do. Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Tomcat can't connect to MySQL

To do any thing with mysql and a web server you're going to have to install php. Check out this link:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/UsingPhp

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Tomcat can't connect to MySQL

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    To do any thing with mysql and a web server you're going to have to install php. Check out this link:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/UsingPhp

Jim
    Tomcat is a servlet container.

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to run a Java web application? If you are trying to run PHP or static web pages you are better off with Apache HTTP server.

You can run standard type web pages in Tomcat but it is not considered to be the right way if doing things.

Beans

Talking Re: Tomcat can't connect to MySQL

my name is azhar i am new to ubuntu but i really like's it. the problem with my office pc is i cannot do mp2 from datastream. how ? is it possible. system mysql 6 and mp2 work orders... pls help