View Poll Results: Please describe how does sound work on your 8.04?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perfectly normal, multi-app sound

27 29.35%
  • Minor Tweaking, Solved problems, Multi-app sound

22 23.91%
  • Serious tweaking, Solved, Multi-app sound

5 5.43%
  • Tweaking, some problems remain, but multi-app sound

19 20.65%
  • No sound, serious tweaking

3 3.26%
  • Sound problems, didn't try to solve

3 3.26%
  • Only single application has sound, didn't try to solve

7 7.61%
  • No sound, didn't try to solve

3 3.26%
  • Serious problems, crashing, bad fail

3 3.26%
  • I do not understand, you foole!

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How well does sound work on your 8.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How well does sound work on your 8.04?

Good here, using a M audio delta44
    Streaming without a glitch using VLC

When i can run fruity loops in wine with 11ms latency all will be perfect.

Beans

My sound issues do not fit into any of your categories !
    I have 2 Asus mobo. based machines ( 1 is an M3N-VM the other an M3N-EMH HDMI ) they are both AMD AM2 machines with nVidia GF8200 chipsets one ( the M3N-EMH hdmi has an Athlon 64 5200+ ) the other has a Phenom 9850 . both have the same issue with sound - It works out of the box , but it stutters and is scratchy and totally unusable . It works in all apps but has the same absence of quality . I have tried quite a few things from various sources and I still can not get it right .I am using 8.04.1 as 8.04 does not recognize the hard drive controller and can not be installed .
    Both of these machines are less than 6 months old .
    Ubuntu forum members said "If I am unhappy with Unity there are many other options " True - I changed to another Distro - problem solved !
    I found I need neither Unity nor Ubuntu !

Beans

I use several apps known not to work with PulseAudio. Removing PulseAudio solved all the problems. Perfect multi-app sound after minor tweaking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Works mostly perfect for me, A few programs will get scratchy sound, had to edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to get surround sound back. But I can have my music streaming to all ubuntu computers on the LAN, kinda cool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I only could have sound comming from one app at a time. I just changed something (I can't remember what lol) to ALSA (or something like that) and it worked fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i am stuck with the nvidia chipset and maybe some guys know, what it means...

i have just reinstalled system, because sound worked only with programs using some codecs (movie and mp3 players)

maybe an issue was removing mod ohcd or something like that (i read on one forum that it is a cool idea)
    or meybe nad issue was reinstalling nvidia drivers a lot of times and something got wrong there.

howerver, now it's working fine, but i did not load restricted graphic drivers yet... omg.

Beans

So, judging from the current votes in this very limited poll, it looks like:

- One third of 8.04 users do not have proper sound.

- Only 46% of Ubuntu 8.04 users get to enjoy the role of "human" in regard to having working sound system, the rest will have to possess some qualities of an engineer (or at least a troubleshooter) to enjoy sound on 8.04.

pony-tail - Ah, I forgot the serious tweaking, some sound -option.

Funny, but some people I am talking to seem to think that sound problems are the Dirty Little Secret of Ubuntuforums -community, and it seems you're not supposed to talk about it or you will 1) get flamed, 2) admins will remove your thread.

Funny. Thats exactly what happened to me before I got the idea to start this thread. So, I am thinking theres some truth to that.

Now, lets stop playing ostrich and start realizing the "linux for humans" dream in an open, honest and grown-up manner? Well I hope so anyway.
    Last edited by pikseli@work; August 11th, 2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typos, bad english

Beans

*bump for votes*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pikseli@work View Post
    So, judging from the current votes in this very limited poll, it looks like:

- One third of 8.04 users do not have proper sound.

- Only 46% of Ubuntu 8.04 users get to enjoy the role of "human" in regard to having working sound system, the rest will have to possess some qualities of an engineer (or at least a troubleshooter) to enjoy sound on 8.04.

pony-tail - Ah, I forgot the serious tweaking, some sound -option.

Funny, but some people I am talking to seem to think that sound problems are the Dirty Little Secret of Ubuntuforums -community, and it seems you're not supposed to talk about it or you will 1) get flamed, 2) admins will remove your thread.

Funny. Thats exactly what happened to me before I got the idea to start this thread. So, I am thinking theres some truth to that.

Now, lets stop playing ostrich and start realizing the "linux for humans" dream in an open, honest and grown-up manner? Well I hope so anyway.

It took me forever to get my sound working the way I wanted on my 4 different Ubuntu Hrdy installations but I did (i386, amd64, ubuntusSudioi386, UbuntuStudioamd64). I originally just kept a bunch of tomboy notes for myself so I could remember how to get things working again after trying some of the how-tos and stuff that failed me miserably at times.

Along the way I realized how fragmented the information has become which makes it very difficult to track down answers so I organized my notes and posted them in this thread as a sort of one stop shopping place for general sound issues:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

I am also working on a one stop shopping thread for people with sound hardware problems. It will hopefully make its debut sometime soon.

I agree wioth you though about the "dirty little secret issues" but it is not just in Ubuntu, it is in linux. I have seen sniping between the pulse and oss devs. Really stupid juvenile behavior that helps no one. Meanwhile we are all left in the woods dealing with this huge amalgam of semi-compatible systems working at cross purposes.

Beans

Well put, and thanks for the troubleshooter thread.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast