Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast

Thread: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

Beans

Re: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

Quote Originally Posted by joshsz View Post
    Hey all, I've got four monitors on two nVidia GeForce GTS 450's. The best configuration I've been able to come up with is using Xinerama and four separate x screens (no TwinView), but that doesn't allow GL or Compiz.

The alternative seems to be two separate X screens with no xinerama and twinview each pair of monitors. That gives me 3d but then windows are stuck on one of the two x screens.

Any new developments on this or am I stuck? =/
    I'm right with you Joshsz. I'm trying to dig through everything and anything I can find. I'll post if I make any breakthroughs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 6 Monitors - Ubuntu 8.04 - Compiz Fusion - XGL NVIDIA Working! (Video Included)

If you have two GPUs the same & SLI capable (inc mobo)
    Then SLI mosaic could be the best method..

It must be possible to get it working as 2 x twinview pairs tho'..

Beans

d2globalinc -

Given your experience with multi-display setups, what hardware would you recommend for a multiple display setup with 4 to 6 displays? I currently have two nVidia cards (EVGA GeForce GTS 450 & XFX GeForce 8600 GTS), and have been having a really hard time getting it to work.

I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.10.

Beans

After further testing, I noticed that while running VMware Workstation 6.5 my XP and Vista virtual machines that are set to use 3D acceleration fail to run properly. To fix this I simply unchecked 3D acceleration for these machines under Virtual Machine Settings - Display. The virtual machines still run fine as I am not using any 3D effects anyway. It looks like xserver-xgl caused this issue as Direct Rendering is disabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have to say, multi-monitor support in Linux sucks from what I can tell... and I say that as someone who has only used Linux as my primary OS for the last 15 years.

I run 4 monitors with two nVidia cards and it sucks. I either have to use Xinerama which kills performance across the whole system or use two twinview screens* which means I can't move windows between all my monitors (only within each twinview group). Plus some things just crash (GNOME3's Shell) or misbehave with multiple screens. Fake Xinerama only fixes some of those issues.

Meanwhile I just tested Windows 7 (first time loading a native Windows install in over a decade) and it fires up all four monitors and I can move windows between any of them without performance loss. Same with OSX.

All the GNOME3/Unity/poor multimonitor crap has actually got me looking for something better, don't know what I'm going to do.

* When I refer to a "screen" I mean an X.org logical screen, not a physical screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree.

Although, I want to like Ubuntu, I've been unable to make it my primary OS ever since I added another monitor to my setup. It's sad really, I was the guy that told everyone how great Ubuntu is. (Needless to say I've been quiet as of late.)
    A wise person will not attempt to "reinvent the wheel" but use it along the way to greater things. GNU/GPL is the wheel of our age.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MiD-AwE View Post
    I agree.

Although, I want to like Ubuntu, I've been unable to make it my primary OS ever since I added another monitor to my setup. It's sad really, I was the guy that told everyone how great Ubuntu is. (Needless to say I've been quiet as of late.)
    Oh dear that sounds just like me. I liked Ubuntu the first time I came across it some years ago but at the time it didn't quite work for me till just over a year ago and I'm now using a distro based on Ubuntu. After a year using it and sounding it's praises I have now come to a dead end with the issue of running multiple screens (more than 2).

I really do not want to have to go back to XP, it would break my heart. Like you I'm quiet now and praying for a miracle before I swallow my pride and return to XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm looking for time to try again now since the official 11.04 release. Maybe I'll have better luck. I'm just trying to get two monitors running now, but twinview isn't cuttin' it yet. I'll also be installing on my wifes laptop. She's had it with macroslop winblows, so I ran the 11.04 live CD on for her to try and she's sold. Now I'll be crossing my fingers that the install goes well.
    A wise person will not attempt to "reinvent the wheel" but use it along the way to greater things. GNU/GPL is the wheel of our age.

Beans

could someone just comfirm that this would work with the ati driver? on a radeon 6 series?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ugh, can't get 4 to work at all. I have NO problems with a dual setup. I want 1x4.

Running 8800GTS for ASUS 22" both DVI, Twinview works fine.

Other card is an 8400 GS, two Acer 19", one DVI, one VGA. I see everything fine in in nvidia x server settings, but the two Acer screens have a red tint to them when I enable them.

I've also had both Acer's working with the 8800. I wanted to add two more displays for multi-tasking so I got the ASUS screens and the 8400 (no particular reason except the ASUS's were cheap open box on newegg and the card was just something that seemed like it would work fine for what i wanted).

Running Ubuntu 11.04 Unity, I have also had the same issue in both KDE and XFCE desktops. Not sure if I've had dumb luck with duals and Ubuntu because I haven't had any issues, knock on wood.

Sorry, nothing to really add. Just wanted to log my setup and issue. Still a noob to Linux/Ubuntu (been using about a year), but I'm not looking back, I love it so far!!

Oh, and I am pretty sure I am not running any of the fancy Compiz stuff (3D, etc.). I don't want/need it.

Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast