Thread: 11TB Hard Drive Mount Point

Beans

11TB Hard Drive Mount Point

Hello,
    I built out a two x64 Ubuntu 8.04.1 servers on Pogo hardware. I have a RAID 1 OS drive with 1TB, I also created a RAID 5 drive with 11TB on each of the servers. I have the servers all built and the second drive mounted. My questing is: the mount point is /media/disk is this standard practice or should I choose a different mount point, maybe at the root? Also if I choose to change the mount point is the only step changing the fstab file?

Thank you in advance,
    Last edited by whitemts; August 8th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: 11TB Hard Drive Mount Point

You can mount it wherever you please.. just make sure you update the fstab file..

Although "standard practise" is that disks get mounted in /media .. its not a must.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i like to think of /media/device as the default. There is no reason why you have to do it that way its just that ubuntu will put it there unless you tell it otherwise. There is no magic to the mount point. It just depends on what you need it for. For example, if you were using it for a webserver it might make the most sense to mount in /var/www/.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Thanks for the replies. This clarifies things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can mount any partition at any mount point. Since a mount point should be an empty directory, no mount at / will work.
    -BAB1