Thread: Using Windows within Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Using Windows within Ubuntu

I always wondered about this... but wondered if it was possible to use Windows within Ubuntu like you can use Ubuntu within Windows- virtual machine thingy I think it is called..

Not sure what the appropiate terminology is, but it's just something I wondered about this morning.

Why I am asking this is because I have a portable HDD that I take to work each day with portable apps on it and like to use Sunbird calendar for work purposes. Would be good if I need to check or what ever, do so within the emulator or what ever they're called rather than having to boot into windows, check it, then boot out and do what ever I usually do with my day.

Because portable apps is an .exe file, i obviously can't run the .exe program in ubuntu, but I have no issues with browsing the folders and accessing documents to read/edit in OO.

Does anyone know what I mean though? Clear as mud?
    Australian Open Office Users: You can get an Aussie dictionary for OOO. ie colour not color.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Using Windows within Ubuntu

Yes you can use virtual box or other virtualisation software.

You can also use WINE which can run windows applications under Linux. Have a look at http://appdb.winehq.org/ to see if your application works under wine.

I'm not quite sure what you want to do though. If you want to run Sunbird in Ubuntu it is already available for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

1 question first will the app run under wine?
    if so theres no need for a virtual machine.
    if it doesn't
    i have tried VMware it's free version i pretty good so it should do (i can run it on a machine with only 378MB of ram).
    pretty easy to use too here's a guide help you install it.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209
    (desktop)OC'd 3.9Ghz Sempron 140 unlocked to dual-core Athlon II, 150GB Hard Drive, 320GB Hard Drive, 3GB Ram, ATI HD3450 256mb GPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi there,

Ah lovely, thank you for your responses to both posters.... I had a quick look at everything, Virtual Box seems complicated.. I don't think I'm for some complicated steps yet... maybe later..

I'm not sure it will run under WINE but yes I should check, I hadn't thought of that. I tried using WINE a while back (for something else) but didn't get very far and left it very defeated. Couldn't workout how to open WINE! Maybe it's time to revisit it again i might have better luck now I have a better understanding of ubuntu than back then.

)
    Australian Open Office Users: You can get an Aussie dictionary for OOO. ie colour not color.