Thread: Windows Shares are Invisible??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Red face Windows Shares are Invisible??

I just installed Ubuntu Server, installed gnome and went to connect to a windows share. I click places->network-> Windows Network -> Workgroup and there's nothing there, it's empty.

Previouly I was testing CentOS. It saw the windows shares straight off, but it was heavily lacking in repositories so I decided to try ubuntu. I like it's repositories but now I am unable to connect to my network machines, which I used to use rdesktop for (it doesn't connect either)

Anyone have a fix?

Beans

Re: Windows Shares are Invisible??

Does any other kind of networking work on the machine?
    Does it have an internet connection?

Does it get an ip address from DHCP (dynamic ip supplied from a router)?

Have you tried a simple ping to the computer you want to connect to? Does it respond? You just write "ping <targets ip address>" in a terminal. replace <target ip address> with the ip address of the computer you're trying to connect to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Does any other kind of networking work on the machine?
    Does it have an internet connection?

Does it get an ip address from DHCP (dynamic ip supplied from a router)?

Have you tried a simple ping to the computer you want to connect to? Does it respond? You just write "ping <targets ip address>" in a terminal. replace <target ip address> with the ip address of the computer you're trying to connect to.
    Thanks for the reply The internet works on the machine, it does have an IP and Ping did successfully find it. I did a system restart which fixed the rdesktop problem, however, it still will not see the windows shares in network.
    If I do a smbclient -L 192.168.1.34 it lists the windows shares in the terminal, but they will not list in the network browser.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also, it may be interesting to note that it does know the "workgroup" name for the windows shares, in the network file browers I open "windows network" it sees "WORKGROUP" which is the linux, and it sees "WIN" which is the name of the workgroup I gave to my windows machine, opening WIN up displays nothing, however, as stated before this worked in centos just yesterday.

**edit**
    If I go into pyNeighborhood and turn off "always use anonymous login" it displays the windows machines, but will not mount them.

If I use the "connect to server" and choose windows share, type the server name in (the pc name) and connect, it opens a folder "Windows shares on <mypc>" but the directory is blank.
    I will continue probing around if anyone knows my problem feel free to blurt it out, thanks!

***Edit2**
    Well I tried being more specific with the connection, I clicked "connect to server" and chose windows share, then entered the Server name, and folder name, it asked for my windows username and password, and domain so I entered all that, which then it added a mount to the desktop *cheers* It is a bit more work than I am used to, since I used to just browse the network and click to open it, but at least it's working this way

Still, if anyone knows how to get the network browser to work let me know, it would be great help!
    Last edited by davethewave83; August 8th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.