Thread: How to set default text size in some applications?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to set default text size in some applications?

How can I set the default text and icon sizes in some applications? I have a dell laptop with a high res screen (1920 x 1200) and I can set the default font sizes for most things using System - Settings - Appearances. However some apps do not follow these settings (e.g. Skype, Zimbra) and are much too small on my screen. Is there a way to set the default size of everything for a single app (e.g. by adding a subcommand to the launcher)?

A subsidary question is how can I set the default text size in Firefox to be something than the standard setting. This is less of a bother because I can easily use Ctrl + to increase the text size - but it would be convenient if it could start up at a size that I prefer.

With grateful thanks for any help!

Martin
    Aridus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to set default text size in some applications?

Hello folks - just asking again if anybody can help me with this? I have searched the forums and can't find any hint on this anywhere.

Thanks!
    Aridus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

In Firefox, Edit > Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Advanced > and then set Minimum Font Size of 12 or whatever suits you.

Sorry I can't help with other apps.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and have their shoes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by silkstone View Post
    In Firefox, Edit > Preferences > Content > Fonts & Colors > Advanced > and then set Minimum Font Size of 12 or whatever suits you.

Sorry I can't help with other apps.
    Thank you very much - that works perfectly! Now I just need to sort out the other apps, which seems to be more of a challenge!
    Aridus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

At least Skype uses Qt, instead of GTK, so Gnome's settings won't affect Skype's theme or fonts.

If I remeber right "qt3-config" is the tool that can be used to configure the Qt theme in Gnome. You'll need to install it, and then start it from a terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    At least Skype uses Qt, instead of GTK, so Gnome's settings won't affect Skype's theme or fonts.

If I remeber right "qt3-config" is the tool that can be used to configure the Qt theme in Gnome. You'll need to install it, and then start it from a terminal.
    Thanks - tried it - it changes the defalt font size in the qt config window but doesn't affect skype or zimbra.
    Aridus

Beans

Thanks, its really Great..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by aridus View Post
    Thanks - tried it - it changes the defalt font size in the qt config window but doesn't affect skype or zimbra.
    I just checked, and the latest Skype versions is already using Qt4.. I suppose you should find a configuration tool for that version instead of the qt3-config..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    I just checked, and the latest Skype versions is already using Qt4.. I suppose you should find a configuration tool for that version instead of the qt3-config..
    Many thanks again - found qt4 config in the repository, set fonts to 12 pt and it works nicely. However, it doesn't affect all fonts in skype. The text 'Call ordinary phones' for example, and other text, is still miniscule. In general this is definitely better though!

However, this doesn't affect Zimbra, the text of which is sooo tiny! Am still searching for a way to fix this as I want to use it instead of Evolution.

Thanks!
    Aridus