Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: An ~Adequate~ HTPC motherboard?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: An ~Adequate~ HTPC motherboard?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwman View Post
    I read comments that that the Nvidia 7100 is not fast enough to play Blue Ray. I don't have a BlueRay player/writer right now but wanted to get one in the future when prices drop some more. Oh well, I need a working machine right now so i'm sending it back for the other one.
    In Linux, I'm pretty sure the CPU will have more to do with whether or not you can play bluray than the GPU. But I don't have blu-ray so I don't know.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Hidden!

I read comments that that the Nvidia 7100 is not fast enough to play Blue Ray. I don't have a BlueRay player/writer right now but wanted to get one in the future when prices drop some more. Oh well, I need a working machine right now so i'm sending it back for the other one.
    I wouldn't know either, I don't use blu-ray yet....not well supported

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll probably not gonna buy Blue Ray reader/recorder drive anytime soon either. But it was kinda nice knowing that the motherboard is capable and I won't have to upgrade again in couple of years. Anyway, I can't wait for my ned Nvidia 7100 mobo so i'll finaly have my backend/frontend working again

Beans
    Hidden!

I'll probably not gonna buy Blue Ray reader/recorder drive anytime soon either. But it was kinda nice knowing that the motherboard is capable and I won't have to upgrade again in couple of years. Anyway, I can't wait for my ned Nvidia 7100 mobo so i'll finaly have my backend/frontend working again
    I am guessing the pre-requisite for HD playback with seperate backend/frontend would be a gigabit ethernet

That's next on my list, routing cables through the house and have a nice switch in the cupboard

wireless just isn't good enough...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well after lot of headaches and time spent trying to make things work, I sent my motherboard back. I bought the GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H with Nvidia 7100 chipset since everybody is recommending it. Everything seems to be working fine but I can't get any sound thru the HDMI. That was the whole point getting this motherboard in a first place. Video works fine at 1080p thru the HDMI but I need sound going there too.

I don't want to hijack this thread and started another one with the problem but I think people should be aware of issues they might come up with this HTPC mobo.

Here is my thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...07#post5680207

Thank you all and I hope I'll find help soon

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345