Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NBC's Olympic Videos Won't Play on Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: NBC's Olympic Videos *Will* Play on Linux

Hi K_I_K,

Thanks for the script !

Just a quick question - I'm getting an import error below when I run your script on Ubuntu Hardy i386 on Python 2.5.2 (preinstalled on the OS). I'm a bit new here, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong, please? Is there some dependency that needs to be fulfilled here? Thank you once again in advance. Please find the CLI below -

me@lenovo:~/Desktop$ python --version
    Python 2.5.2

me@lenovo:~/Desktop$ python nbcsched.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "nbcsched.py", line 6, in <module>
    from xml.dom.ext.reader import PyExpat
    ImportError: No module named ext.reader
    me@lenovo:~/Desktop$

Beans

Re: NBC's Olympic Videos Won't Play on Linux

Here are the python packages with 'xml' in them that I have installed. It's got to be in one of them:
    Code:
    python-libxml2
    python-lxml
    python-xml

Beans

k_i_k
    That works great. I used your script and opened up the stream in vlc... I have to say it's better than viewing it from within the browser.
    Thank you.

Beans

This seems like a really promising solution, but I'm getting the same errors even after installing the dependencies (ImportError: No module named ext.reader). I did a lot of google searches, but I can't find a good fix. It seems like it is relying on an older pyxml rather than python-xml. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm using Hardy on a 64-bit.

I found this website that gives a fix, but I don't know how to use it: http://debianclub.org/aggregator/sources/2?page=33

Fix/workaround:
    + sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python%s/site-packages/oldxml' % sys.version[:3])
    from xml.dom.ext.reader import HtmlLib

Where would I type this?
    Last edited by globose; August 11th, 2008 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

Hey thank you k_i_k for that script... looks like it works, unfortunately there's nothing on right now

Beans

Re: NBC's Olympic Videos *Will* Play on Linux

An update. NBC also has lots of stuff recored, so you can watch something you missed when it was live. The new version scans these links too. Here's how to use it:

Code:
    ./nbcsched.py <sport> <live | rewind> <pattern>
    <sport> is the sport you are interested (badminton, tennis, volleyball, etc)

The second argument is either "live" or "rewind" for live streams or prerecorded ones.

The third argument is matched against the description for each stream, and only the matching streams are looked up. This is useful when there are many "Rewind" links, as processing them all would take several minutes.

Spread the joy! :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by k_i_k; August 11th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

And Microsoft drives more customers to piracy...

EDIT: not referring to the script above, just in general

Could someone make a tutorial for how to use this script and open the stream in VLC?
    Last edited by ace007; August 11th, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
    Could someone make a tutorial for how to use this script and open the stream in VLC?
    Umm, ace007, run the script and feed the stream URLs to VLC or another video player. No output means no streams were found or if any were they couldn't be parsed. Some/many "Rewind" streams may not work (no idea why). Read the code for details.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by globose View Post
    This seems like a really promising solution, but I'm getting the same errors even after installing the dependencies (ImportError: No module named ext.reader). I did a lot of google searches, but I can't find a good fix. It seems like it is relying on an older pyxml rather than python-xml. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm using Hardy on a 64-bit.

I found this website that gives a fix, but I don't know how to use it: http://debianclub.org/aggregator/sources/2?page=33

Fix/workaround:
    + sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python%s/site-packages/oldxml' % sys.version[:3])
    from xml.dom.ext.reader import HtmlLib

Where would I type this?

Yo, I figured out how to get this to work:
    Change the beginning of the script to look like this:

Code:
    import re
    import sys

from sys import argv
    from urllib import urlopen
    sys.path.append('/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/oldxml')
    from xml.dom import Node
    from xml.dom.ext.reader import PyExpat
    reader = PyExpat.Reader()
    Basically, you have to add an import sys and then use that to append to the path. Replace the 2.5 with whatever version you have, or use that general one in the one you found.

Nice work KiK. This is excellent.

Beans

Great script! However, I seem to not get any audio on these streams. VLC works fine on files, etc. but nothing here? Is this the same for all?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast