Thread: Minimum Compact Flash size for running OS on

Minimum Compact Flash size for running OS on

I'm looking at running my OS off a Compact Flash card to cut down on noise and power consumption. I'm told this will speed up read and write speeds too. I'll be using a CF - IDE converter.

At the moment I have a 640GB HD, so what I would like to do is mount the CF card under / and the hard disk under /var/lib/mythtv. And I guess the swap on the 640GB HD, but I do have 2GB RAM so might not need much swap.

What is the minimum size CF card I would need? I could move /home to the hard disk too to save space. Can I get away with a 2GB CF?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Minimum Compact Flash size for running OS on

You should be able to get away with a 2 gig flash if you don't do updates, but I would actually just keep all of /var on the hard drive and get a 4 gig if you can. This will future proof you as you will probably end up wanting to add more apps in later, or maybe upgrade to 8.10 etc

Beans

mytharchive can use heaps of space in /var/lib/mytharchive and logs in /var/log can grow very large, especially if you have errors. Therefore as the other poster said, you may be better to have /var on the hard drive.

I have seen that suggested before but was unsure why, thanks for clearing that up for me.

So this is what I will do,

Compact Flash (4GB)
    /

Hard Drive (640GB)
    /home
    /var

Beans

don't think you will need /home on the hard drive, they should be kept pretty empty unless you are also using the machine for non myth purposes.