Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totem/VLC/Mplayer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Totem/VLC/Mplayer?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyglamis View Post
    Actually I will not be able to download the cd addon to my computer at work as it is too big a file and I run the risk of getting into trouble.
    I think I might understand the install but am still unclear of the commands. I did download the vlc package but have absolutely no idea how to install it once i have extracted it.
    1. get the vlc debian package. How do I install this if I downloaded the package to my desktop and extracted it to /media/sda1 ?
    2. install the package via a .deb file? Once again I have searched through the whole extracted folder and cannot seem to find a .deb file or .tar file. If I did see this file do I just double click it?
    3. Download dependecies. Will these be .deb files as well? Same deal double click them?
    .deb files are simply Debian package files, Ubuntu also uses this type of packages. If you double click on a .deb file in Ubuntu a package installer will start and will install the package.

So if you download a .deb file containing Vlc, you just need to copy that .deb file to you ubuntu computer and double click it. It is possible that Vlc will need programs or libraries that are in other .deb packages. These are called "dependencies for Vlc" as Vlc depends on them in order to work properly. So you will also need the .deb files that contain those dependencies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyglamis View Post
    Actually I will not be able to download the cd addon to my computer at work as it is too big a file and I run the risk of getting into trouble.
    I think I might understand the install but am still unclear of the commands. I did download the vlc package but have absolutely no idea how to install it once i have extracted it.
    1. get the vlc debian package. How do I install this if I downloaded the package to my desktop and extracted it to /media/sda1 ?
    2. install the package via a .deb file? Once again I have searched through the whole extracted folder and cannot seem to find a .deb file or .tar file. If I did see this file do I just double click it?
    3. Download dependecies. Will these be .deb files as well? Same deal double click them?
    It seems to me that what you have isn't a "Debian" file as talked about in previous replies. A Debian file is usually called something like vlc-0.8.6i.deb. It doesn't require extracting, you should just be able to double-click on it (as you used to do with an exe) and away you go.

However, I can understand your confusion because the vlc website doesn't only gives instructions for installation related to the official Ubuntu repos.

So ...what file have you downloaded? And where did you download it from?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Install VLC, it will handled just about every format you could possibly want.

- zipperback

Beans

Ok maybe I did not download the correct file after all. Good to know I'm not completely going insane. I downloaded the file I have from vidoelan.org. I am not at my pc right now but it was something along the lines of vlc-0.8.6.tar or something like that. After extracted a folder was created named vlc-0.8.6h.
    I guess I need to search for a vlc.deb on google huh? Any suggestions?

update it was vlc-0.8.6.tar.gz this was the file i downloaded. I cannot seem to find a .deb anywhere in it however.
    Last edited by anthonyglamis; August 8th, 2008 at 01:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The tar.gz file contains the source code, you can extract it and than compile the program yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can dowload the debian package from here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

looks a bit intimidating perhaps, but isn't really, just search ("Search the contents of packages") for VLC and you will get to this page:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?se...hardy&arch=any

in that page click on "Vlc" in column "packages"

you'll go to this page:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/vlc

on the very bottom of that page you can dowload a .deb packge of vlc, just choose the i386 link if you run normal Ubuntu or choose amd64 if you run the 64bit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by zipperback View Post
    Install VLC, it will handled just about every format you could possibly want.
    +1 It's all you need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12