Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Minimum Size Needed for 8.04 dual boot with Vista?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile [SOLVED] Minimum Size Needed for 8.04 dual boot with Vista?

So, I am very happy with 8.04, even the Broadcom Wifi card is working!

What is the minimum size I can safely use for the Ubuntu partition?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Minimum Size Needed for 8.04 dual boot with Vista?

I would recommend that you have at least 10 GB for / and then 2 GB or so for swap depending on how much RAM you have. Then you will need to have space for your files. As far as vista goes I wouldnt run vista with less then 30 GB.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Sweet! I would recommend 4gb minimum--a full Ubuntu installation is a little over 2gb, and 4gb will give you some room to grow. 10gb would be ideal.

Now, what about your data and personal files? Will those live in your Vista, your Ubuntu, or on a separate data partition? Something to think about before you start partitioning...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

I have 5GB parition for my /
    1GB Swap
    and the rest is /home

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Now, what about your data and personal files? Will those live in your Vista, your Ubuntu, or on a separate data partition? Something to think about before you start partitioning...
    I second that. Plan on how you will house your data before simply paritioning the hdd. Mind you if you house your data in your linux partition, windows won't be able to read it (CMIIW). So the best solution is to house the data in one separate partition with windows-readable format (ntfs or fat32).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As far as vista goes I wouldnt run vista with less then 30 GB.
    Argh! My Vista folder is 5.6GB and the whole shebang, programs and all, is just over 15GB. 30GB seems awfully excessive. If there is something I am missing here, please explain. I agree, Vista is bloated, but ....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My laptop:

The Vista Partition is 30GB but half empty -NTFS
    Ubuntu partition 10GB -EXT3
    /Home is 25GB - EXT3
    /swap is 4GB
    FAT32 partition for sharing between op systems is 10GB

... and this is all on one 80GB laptop hard drive ...

My personal opinion is horses for courses; it really depends on how you work (fr'instance which op system needs to access what kind of drive and how often, what information and how much needs to be accessed by which op system).

Before I do installs, I like to sit down with a pen and paper, have a think and make a good plan that is going to work for me (or whoever might be using the machine I am setting up).

The result of 'sudo blkid' on my machine;

/dev/sda1: UUID="FC42EAD442EA9326" LABEL="Vista" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sda5: TYPE="swap" UUID="653d41d1-f3d8-4e3c-8fdd-a298084b754c"
    /dev/sda6: UUID="36bd7710-ca84-48c9-9011-e96d336ba192" TYPE="ext3"
    /dev/sda7: UUID="4317640b-79fe-4ee4-a761-84f84991256e" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" LABEL="bigboy"
    /dev/sda8: UUID="4893-E3A6" TYPE="vfat" LABEL="FATSO"
    Sure you can match the sizes I've given with the file types.

/dev/sda6 is the Ubuntu install. Hope this gives you some ideas ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 7th, 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: further info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Argh! My Vista folder is 5.6GB and the whole shebang, programs and all, is just over 15GB. 30GB seems awfully excessive. If there is something I am missing here, please explain. I agree, Vista is bloated, but ....
    microsoft itself recommends 20-40GB and if anything they are aiming low.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx

Im not saying it is impossible to do it with less but it can get really cramped really quickly if you try to squeeze it into a small space.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Now, I'm getting a little confused here and don't get me wrong ... but if the install and your programs come to 12GB say, isn't the stuff cramping you up the files you are creating, accumulating and storing on the same drive/partition as your operating system? ie you add them later.

Doing this is never a good idea (IMHO and regardless of OS). If Windoze crashes for some reason and you get blue screened, you effectively need to lose all your data (unless you've been very contientious) when you reinstall. Which is why it is never a good idea. Your personal data should be stored and address books, bookmark folders and everything else you can possibly set to do it should be aimed somewhere away from that partition/drive.

Something else to remember is when a hard drive crashes, it is normally as trivial as one bad sector. Which means that generally, the information on the partitions on that drive apart from the one that has crashed is usually retrievable (another reason to partition drives - that age old debate).

If you really want to be safe, have a partition set for only your operating system and programs (and some people don't even store programs on the same drive as OS for reasons of speed - multimedia/gamers) and store your personal data, files, folders etc somewhere else. Much simpler and safer in the long run, trust me.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 7th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow! Such rapid response.

Snowpine and Tamoneya:

I will be keeping my data on the Vista Partition and that is at 61 GB. The remainder is Ubuntu.

Can you explain what "Swap" is?

Also, why can't I see the Ubuntu partition from Vista (or can I in some place other than "Computer").

Thanks guys!

BTW: RAM is just under 1GB AND I also have an USB 300+ GB Drive which I remember being able to read from when I had earlier Ubuntu install, but not able to write to (do I just need to change the permissions from Vista?).
    Last edited by Levitation; August 7th, 2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Additional info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast