Thread: OEMs: Linux needs better power management, wireless support, boot times

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

OEMs: Linux needs better power management, wireless support, boot times

And they don't like using Terminal, either.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20080806/tc_zd/230622

So this is stuff we already knew about, right?

And why is power management so hit-or-miss, anyway?
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans

Re: OEMs: Linux needs better power management, wireless support, boot times

I agree on the power management but feel it will improve over time,

wanted shorter boot times. And Mann added, "don't ever make me open a terminal window and access a command prompt."
    oh god no, not a command line... is this guy joking or what

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Interesting that Dell declined to comment. In the end it doesn't matter what people say here, whereas what OEMs say, or don't say, does matter. IMHO.
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo 6300 1 GB Dual channel DDR 2 Nvidia 7300 GS
    Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 Intel T5450 Core 2 Duo 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram 160gb HDD (Vista/Linux Mint 5)
    [Missing OMGPP]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think the OEMs have to watch exactly what they say... they cannot directly make comparisons to the windows based systems without possibly hurting windows based sales, as they certainly mark-up the windows licences.

if you come out and say that linux is way better, then you see a drop in windows OS bundled systems, as you mark up windows sales, its bad for the bottom line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with them, except for terminal thingy which really isn't necessary anymore, at least not if Linux is preloaded (and it has good software sources). Personally I haven't had the need to use terminal since Ubuntu 7.10.

While wireless is still an issue, it's improving quite quickly. Atheros and Broadcom have been the worst to ship drivers and both of them are getting their act together now.

Power management is okay, but could be much better. I think I'm getting the same battery life on Ubuntu as with Vista, and the fan is more quiet and the laptop is more cooler than on Ubuntu than on Vista. While there are problems with suspending in Ubuntu, it only manages to sleep in Vista..

Boot time is about the same. I don't notice any big difference at least.. But the computer home with XP, boots at least 10 seconds faster than Arch Linux. Of course, Linux keeps its boot time, but Windows usually become slower the more you use it.

And, Linux shuts down much faster.

However, I read about a year/half year ago that Torvald say they had gotten the basic green technology in the kernel, and now they just have to set it in effect, or something. Also Ubuntu 8.10 will focus on mobility: wireless, battery life and boot times.
    The best in life is free

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Those OEMs don't need to say stupid things
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tuxxy View Post
    I agree on the power management but feel it will improve over time,

oh god no, not a command line... is this guy joking or what

Command line for average user is not done anymore... if i ask my mom to do anything on pc even gui is confusing allready.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Actually power management on my laptop is really much better than Vista's. It takes me only a number of seconds of Vista to get the fan running full speed, whereas with Ubuntu it takes hours, if it ever goes on. (this is assuming I am doing nothing particularly intensive such as web browsing) Suspend/hibernate works about the same on both.
    As of Hardy, my wireless works well on both sides.

My time to usable desktop from boot is much quicker in Ubuntu than Vista. Even when I disable a bunch of stuff in Vista, Ubuntu still is there quicker.

And as far as using a terminal goes, I could set up my whole computer, and never use a terminal. But, I still use it, just because it's faster to do a lot of things. Example in case: my dad, mom, and siblings use Ubuntu, and yet they could not use a terminal if their lives depended on it; they seem to be able to use it just fine.

so my experiences with it have been great; and I would say that in another couple years, most people should have equally as good experiences. Main problem for me for now, is we are still missing a few programs that could increase usability.