Thread: Quotes don't work in Virtualbox XP installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Quotes don't work in Virtualbox XP installation.

Hello,

I installed virtualbox with windows xp and I just love it. Never have to reboot anymore and things just work. I was writing in MS word in xp when I suddenly noticed the quotation marks don't work (" and ').

All other things work (!@#$%^&*()-_=+\|]}[{/?.>,< etc. ) except for the quotation marks.

Can anybody help with this? Am writing my thesis on it now and it would really really help!

Beans

Re: Quotes don't work in Virtualbox XP installation.

Is the keyboard layout incorrect in Windows XP? You may need to go to the control panel, keyboards and mice, and change the keyboard layout...it's possible Virtualbox is reporting a very generic keyboard to Windows...do you have quotes if you press SHIFT-2? I think that's an old location for the quotation mark.

Beans
    Distro

It actually is a microsoft keyboard. According to that menu it is all installed and working properly. I reinstalled the drivers, or at least told it to search. It said everything was perfect and that it can find anything else.
    All the icons above the numbers work correctly except for the little head above the 6 and the ones on the left next to the 1 (things I never use).

I dont understand why exactly those ones dont work whereas the rest does work..

Any more ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Wait! I suddenly see something pretty weird.

You were partly right about the 2. In FF and notepad, I can display everything correctly except for the things that I explained before. In MS Word however, it seems to work like you explained. The quotation mark is above the two, and many other things are mixed up.

So... now that we know this. Do you know how I can solve this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kramer65 View Post

You were partly right about the 2. In FF and notepad, I can display everything correctly except for the things that I explained before. In MS Word however, it seems to work like you explained. The quotation mark is above the two, and many other things are mixed up.

No.

Try asking in a windows forum.

I'm sure they will be able to help you better there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kramer65 View Post

Well, I'm not sure; I have no experience with Virtualbox...however, it sounds like a keyboard layout issue. On my windows box, I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard, and windows has it (control panel, keyboard, hardware) listed as a Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. Verify your virtual Windows has those settings, and see if you can remap keys in Virtualbox...maybe there is a keyboard option with Virtualbox software?

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Beans
    Distro

It is listed like that as well. Couldn't it be a problem with MS Word or something?

@billgoldberg.
    No need to be hating here. I love Ubuntu but just have to write my thesis in windows. Endnote doesn't work so well with OOo or MS Word in Ubuntu.. and the substitutes for Endnote are not interchangeable..

Beans

lol I had a similar issue with my " and @ being mixed round, I never solved it as I think i like it now lol

Beans
    Distro

To be honest I would like to solve it. I am writing my thesis and dont want to be bothered by these little things. I finally managed to get ms word and endnote to function properly (be it in virtualbox/windows), but typing like this is simply annoying. Especially if you change between this pc and a normal pc once every two days (going to uni-library and back).

If someone could help please let me know!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved Virtualization