Thread: does anybody find this a little worrying?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

does anybody find this a little worrying?

http://www.betanews.com/article/More...rld/1218061762

on a Linux event, only 16% of the participants used Linux on their laptops....
    why they went there in the first place?
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: does anybody find this a little worrying?

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    http://www.betanews.com/article/More...rld/1218061762

on a Linux event, only 16% of the participants used Linux on their laptops....
    why they went there in the first place?
    I'm not all that worried:

1. Their random selection is likely not representative of the population at large. No way to tell what the real percentage is of Linux-on-laptop users might be.
    2. We already know that laptops and Linux don't mix as well as they should. Fortunately, OEMs are waking up to Linux so laptops may soon start cooperating better with it. (Well, I hope.)
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Beans

that's funny, not worrying.
    I'm starting to care very little whether or not others use linux. There'd be more support, more development, maybe.. But really, as long as it fulfills my needs, I'm happy. The people who do decide to use linux are a more defiant, "I want to know why." type of group anyway.

(This is in reference to the fact that most people I ask confirm that their parents did answer their questions of "Why?" with "Because I said so," or something like it. Most people gave up on wanting to know why things happen, but the few who don't are much less painful to talk to.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JillSwift View Post
    I'm not all that worried:

1. Their random selection is likely not representative of the population at large. No way to tell what the real percentage is of Linux-on-laptop users might be.
    2. We already know that laptops and Linux don't mix as well as they should. Fortunately, OEMs are waking up to Linux so laptops may soon start cooperating better with it. (Well, I hope.)
    miss swift... You do seem to be most fond of the lists...

Oh, and did you know I linked the background that guy made for you directly?
    Last edited by Lexicon101; August 7th, 2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added info