Thread: CD wont boot to install

Beans

CD wont boot to install

Hi,

I downloaded Ubuntu recently and burned it to a cd (checked for cd integrity and it was fine) and I rebooted to boot from the cd but I got an error message when I selected "install Ubuntu".

I checked here and it suggested changing quiet splash-- with a couple of commands (nothing, noapic nolapic, acpi=off, irqpoll, lapic pci=routeirq) I tried all of them and none of them worked.

Was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas or if there was a way to install Ubuntu straight from vista desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: CD wont boot to install

Quote Originally Posted by Beyla View Post
    Hi,

I downloaded Ubuntu recently and burned it to a cd (checked for cd integrity and it was fine) and I rebooted to boot from the cd but I got an error message when I selected "install Ubuntu".

I checked here and it suggested changing quiet splash-- with a couple of commands (nothing, noapic nolapic, acpi=off, irqpoll, lapic pci=routeirq) I tried all of them and none of them worked.

Was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas or if there was a way to install Ubuntu straight from vista desktop?
    Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? Then you may want to do a checksum on the iso
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    You may also look at Wubi for install within windows.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using:

q6600 quad core intel cpu
    evga 780i nforce mobo
    9800 nvidia gtx
    4 gbs of ram
    and running windows vista 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

What was the error you received? With the graphics card you may have to use the F4 option.

Beans

I cant remember the exact error, I'll try again and try the f4 option as well, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Beyla View Post
    or if there was a way to install Ubuntu straight from vista desktop?
    Yes actually, you can; start vista, put in the ubuntu cd, and look for an option in the autostarted program called "Install within Windows" (words to that effect, I think it's the second button on the screen.)

This is OK for a short term measure, but in the long run, you'd probably want to go full ubuntu; but see if wubi (install within windows) works for you at first.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."