Thread: Reinstalling from scratch

Beans

Reinstalling from scratch

I think I may have fudged my first installation of Ubuntu. Rather than manually go through and figure out why half of my commands have stopped working and how I can repair it piece by piece, I've opted for the coward's way out and simply nuke the drive back to its initial installation.

The only thing is...the cd that I used to install ubuntu from Windows doesnt have that pleasant little "install" option anymore. I'm currently sitting at the root shell in recovery mode- I haven't done anything from this point, as I'm not entirely sure what commands I can use to extract and install the packages from the CD.

...help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Reinstalling from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by MrPickle12481632 View Post
    I think I may have fudged my first installation of Ubuntu. Rather than manually go through and figure out why half of my commands have stopped working and how I can repair it piece by piece, I've opted for the coward's way out and simply nuke the drive back to its initial installation.

The only thing is...the cd that I used to install ubuntu from Windows doesnt have that pleasant little "install" option anymore. I'm currently sitting at the root shell in recovery mode- I haven't done anything from this point, as I'm not entirely sure what commands I can use to extract and install the packages from the CD.

...help?
    Hi and if you installed from within windows using Wubi then you can uninstall in windows. You can use the Wubi FAQ's. If you are booting off the live cd then you are not in recovery mode. Or am I totally misunderstanding your post.

Beans

Well pretty much I installed Ubuntu straight out. Booted from the live cd and performed the main install complete with a format and an outright deletion of everything microsoft ever touched.

Since that last post I've actually gone back, and I'm on the road to manual recovery [great learning experience], but I'll definitely reach resolution much faster by starting fresh. What I need to know is how to run the installer from within a standalone ubuntu install, whether this needs to be a command done in the terminal/shell/grub/etc, or if I can actually get the wizard to take care of it for me.

Either that or I can spend another 72 hours finding out why my interfaces wont load properly while I recode half the networking files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got pretty good at reinstalling from the live disk. Sounds like for the same reason you need to reinstall. I never used the command line. Just booted the disk clicked install and went through the install. When I got to partitioning I picked manual and put it back in the same partitions. I had to label the start point / and had to click format. The installer would not let me do it wrong, I tried but it kept sending me back to do it right. After the first 3 times I learned and the next 3 tries were easy. I don't play with as much software I don't understand now so I have fewer problems.

Beans

Thing is, I cant get the CD to boot for some reason. I had to use the option to create a temp file in the BIOS to get it to work.

Is there any way to do this while in Ubuntu?