Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] UBUNTU ruined my PC! : (

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: UBUNTU ruined my PC! : (

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    It is true that it wont hurt the drive but if it is a half decent program(I typically use dban and I am not familiar with yours) it will take several hours to complete during which we could be trying to do something useful to get the PC up and running again.
    That's exactly why I generally do not use DBAN.

Try, killdisk. I can generally WIPE a 80gb drive in about 20 minutes. And for what the poster is trying to accomplish, that is all of the WIPING function that they probably need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    That's exactly why I generally do not use DBAN.

Try, killdisk. I can generally WIPE a 80gb drive in about 20 minutes. And for what the poster is trying to accomplish, that is all of the WIPING function that they probably need.
    The OP doesnt NEED any wiping.

ADDITION: I really dont feel like arguing this any more since I really dont care so go ahead and wipe the disk if you really want to but it wont solve any problems.
    Last edited by tamoneya; August 7th, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

whoa! thanks for all the info guys. But I do seem to have some info on my harddisk. will I be able to retrieve it by using the live cd? after that i dont mind completely wiping the hard drive.

one more thing... form what i understand of harddisks (which is very little) theres a very important part called the MBR. When I wipe my hard drive will ubuntu repair this thing? (the MBR)

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by mahela007 View Post
    whoa! thanks for all the info guys. But I do seem to have some info on my harddisk. will I be able to retrieve it by using the live cd? after that i dont mind completely wiping the hard drive.

one more thing... form what i understand of harddisks (which is very little) theres a very important part called the MBR. When I wipe my hard drive will ubuntu repair this thing? (the MBR)
    When you wipe your drive EVERYTHING will be gone !!! And a new boot scheme will be setup when you install a new O/S.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey Presto!!! Its solved. All i did was to rerun the installation and this time it worked flawlessly. THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123