Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] UBUNTU ruined my PC! : (

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: UBUNTU ruined my PC! : (

Seems its not the Ubuntu CD problem;its with your hard disk.Why dont you check out this link for yout "disk error" http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000229.htm and hey dont panic it could be a possibility thats it...

Oh god get his box working...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I.m pretty sure it was the ubuntu CD. It failed to install properly and that was when the PC stopped booting. Its not that I dont like Ubuntu. Infact I am doing as much as I possibly can to spread it.But problems like this just let you down

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Assuming that you don't have anything on the hard drive that you need to keep, get www.killdisk.com and WIPE that hard drive completely clean.

Then get the hard drive diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer's website and test the integrity of the hard drive.

If the hard drive is O.K. then try reinstalling Ubuntu from an integrity checked ALTERNATE version of Ubuntu.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    Assuming that you don't have anything on the hard drive that you need to keep, get www.killdisk.com and WIPE that hard drive completely clean.

Then get the hard drive diagnostic software from the hard drive manufacturer's website and test the integrity of the hard drive.

If the hard drive is O.K. then try reinstalling Ubuntu from an integrity checked ALTERNATE version of Ubuntu.

Good luck.
    There is no need to wipe a drive before running the manufacturer's diagnostics.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

how many times did you try the install?
    sometimes for some odd reason something will go wrong, sometimes more than 1 try is needed.

Beans

I disagree with "Ubuntu ruined my PC!", in fact. But i also had problems with hardy heron version. Check my thread, and you'll see my problem "without solution".

The only way to solve my problem is backing to the previous version.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=882239

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tamoneya View Post
    There is no need to wipe a drive before running the manufacturer's diagnostics.
    No, but it is not going to hurt anything either if the information on it is not needed.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by quincasmetall View Post
    I disagree with "Ubuntu ruined my PC!", in fact. But i also had problems with hardy heron version. Check my thread, and you'll see my problem "without solution".

The only way to solve my problem is backing to the previous version.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=882239
    I agree with this accessment.

Hardy is still very suspect, IMO.

I would highly recommend staying with Gutsy unless there is some very compelling reason to do otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    No, but it is not going to hurt anything either if the information on it is not needed.
    It is true that it wont hurt the drive but if it is a half decent program(I typically use dban and I am not familiar with yours) it will take several hours to complete during which we could be trying to do something useful to get the PC up and running again.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think we need to know what won't boot. The old OS, Ubuntu, the alt disk or all of the above. I also had the problem with the alt disk not finishing. I went with the live disk but I am on a Mac powerpc. I had to press tab and use an option to bring up the desktop but the installation went smoothly. My 8.04.1 seems to be as stable as 6.06 or 7.04. If the alt **** boots just try again. If that dosn't work use a live disk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast