Thread: [SOLVED] no login screen aftering installing 2d SATA drive

Beans

[SOLVED] no login screen aftering installing 2d SATA drive

I run Gutsy, but startup no longer gets to the login screen.

I just installed a 2d SATA drive, which messed up grub. So I reinstalled grub as described in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...0ac88b248e25b4 and then edited /boot/grub/menu.lst accordingly.

This got me the gfxboot screen, which works normally to boot Gutsy, displaying the startup splash screen, but after that finishes, there is nothing but a black screen. First, I thought I'd hit a disk check, but the black screen continues unless...

... I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace; then, Ubuntu shuts down: I get the reverse splash sequence and the machine reboots, but I never get the logon screen. Do I need to edit another file?

Re: no login screen aftering installing 2d SATA drive

Try rebooting and use the 'recovery mode' option. Then when it asks you tell it to try to fix X.

Beans

Re: no login screen aftering installing 2d SATA drive

Thanks for the tip --

Quote Originally Posted by coolaj86 View Post
    Try rebooting and use the 'recovery mode' option. Then when it asks you tell it to try to fix X.
    -- but it's pretty hard to follow on Gutsy (my UbuntuStudio installation, anyway). When I choose "recovery", I am not asked about fixing X. I just wind up in Terminal at root.

The tip nevertheless got me to try fixing X, which eventually led to the following:

SOLUTION: Re-install gdm. As root I typed

apt-get install gdm
    and
    apt-get remove
    Then, I rebooted and everything was fine.