Thread: Windows on the EEEPC

Beans

Windows on the EEEPC

I went to Bestbuy today to look at laptops. I found an EEEPC with Windows on it, so I tried it out. It was slow. IE took about 10 or so seconds to start. This is significantly slower than the EEEPC with Linux that I tried out a few months back.
    Although it would be nice to run Windows apps with it, I don't like the idea of getting it, because then I'm not supporting Linux.

Beans

Re: Windows on the EEEPC

Um, ok.

Buy it online then. Wait, what? You went to Best Buy? Why?!

Beans
    Hidden!

If you need to run windows apps, you have little choice but to get it unfortunately.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by init1 View Post
    I went to Bestbuy today to look at laptops. I found an EEEPC with Windows on it, so I tried it out. It was slow. IE took about 10 or so seconds to start. This is significantly slower than the EEEPC with Linux that I tried out a few months back.
    Although it would be nice to run Windows apps with it, I don't like the idea of getting it, because then I'm not supporting Linux.
    Is it possible you tried the new EEE 900 16gb (costs about $399)? It is the newest model and is notoriously slow due to the cheap 16gb drive. The original 700 series (which is what you probably tried months ago) allegedly is much quicker for any disk-based activity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dual Cortex View Post
    Um, ok.

Buy it online then. Wait, what? You went to Best Buy? Why?!

Well it would be more convenient to get it there. Wouldn't have to wait for it to ship. Of course, I'll probably just get a Thinkpad with SLED online.

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Is it possible you tried the new EEE 900 16gb (costs about $399)? It is the newest model and is notoriously slow due to the cheap 16gb drive. The original 700 series (which is what you probably tried months ago) allegedly is much quicker for any disk-based activity.
    Actually this one costs $500. I'm not sure which model, but it had a web cam built in. Either way, I suppose that it could have been more of a hardware issue than a software issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Eee Pc 1000

I'm looking at getting the Eee PC 1000. Heard the previous models featuring the SSD's have terrible speed issues, anybody aware if this is still the case with the new one?
    Any info on how Ubuntu performs on it? (not too keen on the simplicity of Xandros)
    Otherwise, any other suggestions for a machine with long batt. life,able to run Compiz smoothly, main use would be taking notes @ college.