Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to delete ubuntu 8.04 completely

Beans

Re: I want to delete ubuntu 8.04 completely

Quote Originally Posted by HyperHacker View Post
    Wait, so they told you to install Vista? They probably just meant they can't help with Ubuntu problems.
    Obviously if i didnt have it on my computer. At the time i took it to them i didnt have ubuntu or vista installed.
    My computer was empty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just did a little research, and Acer does use a recovery partition. When you were installing and reinstalling OSes, you probably reformatted the entire drive, meaning that partition is gone. Without that recovery partition, the restore disc is useless.

If the computer didn't come with a Windows installation disc (which they should, though many don't), then... well, you can still install Ubuntu. At least you'll have an OS, and the people here will be glad to help you with any problems you have.

Sorry.

solwic is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post
    I just did a little research, and Acer does use a recovery partition. When you were installing and reinstalling OSes, you probably reformatted the entire drive, meaning that partition is gone. Without that recovery partition, the restore disc is useless.

If the computer didn't come with a Windows installation disc (which they should, though many don't), then... well, you can still install Ubuntu. At least you'll have an OS, and the people here will be glad to help you with any problems you have.

Sorry.
    Ditto. My brother has an Acer lappy, and it has a recovery partition on his hard drive. If you used whole disk, you wiped that partition. Restore is useless.

What's funny is that formatting the whole disk and removing Vista probably voided any warranty you had.

Wish there were better answers here, but....

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mb_webguy View Post

Sorry.
    so what would i need to do to get vista back?
    I just need vista because i work with music and need to install
    recycle, pro-tools, virtual dj, fl studios, and reason 4.0.
    Suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Millie da kidd View Post
    Restore failed
    reason Oxd0000017
    Click ok to restart your computer

That is what it saids.
    And windows is so easy

Quote Originally Posted by Millie da kidd View Post
    Obviously if i didnt have it on my computer. At the time i took it to them i didnt have ubuntu or vista installed.
    My computer was empty
    You need a windows installation CD, you will need to buy one.

Put it in the CD, boot, install Windows. The default is to overwrite everything on the disk.

Can we interest you in a copy of Ubuntu ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123