Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

Beans

HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

Background
    VAG-COM (www.ross-tech.com) is an on-board diagnostic (OBD) scanner for Volkswagen Audi Group vehicles. Ross-Tech explicitly state that it is only supported running under Windows. However, others (with more experience than I) have used wine to get it working under Linux in the past. For example:

This post (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2698219) states VAG-COM works under SUSE Linux but provides no description as to how to install it.
    This HOW-TO (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...M/message/4440) from 2001 is too old so I don’t know if it still works. VAG-COM has undergone many updates since then.
    This HOW-TO (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102885) from 2005 requires mozactivex and a couple of DLLs. It was probably based on version 504 of VAG-COM but provided me with hope that I could get it to work.

I have installed the recently released version 607.0 of VAG-COM under Ubuntu Linux. This is how.

System used
    VAG-COM Cable = HEX-COM+CAN cable from Ross-Tech. IMPORTANT: This is the serial port version (not USB). I believe that the USB version will not work with Linux because Wine only supports USB devices that are supported by the Linux kernel.
    VAG-COM software = Release 607.0 from Ross-Tech.
    Computer = Toshiba 8100 laptop with a Pentium 3 processor and 196 Mb RAM.
    OS = Ubuntu (Dapper Drake 6.06 release) freshly installed and updated on 16/7/06. Linux kernel 2.6.15-25-386.
    Wine = Version 0.9.9-0Ubuntu2 from Universe repository.

Conventions
    Text like this:
    Code:
    $ cd vag-com
    Means that you type "cd vag-com", without the quotes or the $ sign, at the prompt of the command-line interface in the user's home directory. That is, just open the terminal and type the command because you should automatically be in the home directory.
    "=>" means this results in …
    "->" means the next step is …

HOW-TO Install VAG-COM
    1.Install Wine from Universe repository using Synaptic.
    2.Create the wine directories and open a configuration window by typing at the command prompt:
    Code:
    $ winecfg
    -> click OK to close the window as no changes are required.
    3.Download Vag-Com-Release-6070-Installer.exe from www.ross-tech.com. This is the version of the software for the serial cable.
    4.Move the downloaded file to ~/.wine/drive_c. Tip: If using Nautilus file manager to do this, you have to press Ctrl-H to show the hidden /.wine directory in your user’s home directory.
    5.Run the VAG-COM setup wizard by typing:
    Code:
    $ wine c:\vagcom-release-6070-installer.exe
    => Setup Wizard should open and behave as if it is a Windows program
    -> Choose to Install to c:\Program Files\VAG-COM.
    => Creates a desktop icon called "VAG-COM Release 607.lnk" on the desktop.
    -> When the installation is complete simply delete this desktop icon as it does not work in linux.
    6.Run VAG-COM by typing at the terminal either:
    Code:
    $ cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/VAG-COM" && wine vagcom.exe
    Or
    Code:
    $ sh –c cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/VAG-COM" && wine vagcom.exe
    This can be simplified by optionally creating a desktop icon below.

Create a desktop icon to run VAG-COM
    Unfortunately, running VAG-COM is not as simple as just typing: "wine vagcom.exe" at the home directory command prompt. Even if you have added the VAG-COM path to the wine windows registry, so that it can find the executable, it will not work properly. You need to issue the command from within the VAG-COM directory or VAG-COM will give the error "Can’t Open Codes File: CODES.DAT". The program will then continue but does not work very well.
    The simplest way that I found around this problem (using my very limited knowledge) was to change to the VAG-COM directory before running it. This is effectively what the commands above do but these are a nuisance to type.
    A simple solution is to use a script that performs the change of directory and then runs VAG-COM. Such a script can then be called by a desktop icon.
    7.Create a text file called vagcom.sh which contains the following:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/VAG-COM
    wine vagcom.exe
    cd ~
    8.You can then create a launcher on your desktop by right clicking the desktop
    -> Create Launcher…
    -> Name = VAG-COM
    -> Command = sh vagcom.sh
    9.I believe that those who use a KDE environment may simply be able to add "~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/VAG-COM" to the working directory of a desktop launcher without needing to write a script. Unfortunately, I could not find an equivalent in Gnome.
    Tips:
    Linux directory and file names are case sensitive while windows ones are not. Therefore if the name is being used by wine the case does not matter but if used by Linux it does. If you have trouble, pay strict attention to case.
    I have limited experience with Linux and VAG-COM so don’t rely on anything I say.

Beans

Re: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

I have an older generic USB interface that works with the 311 version, works fine as long as you run:

ln -s /dev/usbTTY0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Which links the device to the com1 port.

Beans

Anyone have any luck getting Vag-Com to work under Wine with the Ross-Tech USB interfaces?

Vag-Com is the only thing I need to use Windows for and it would be nice if I didn't have to boot into Windows to use it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMK

Beans

great guide! i'm going to try that right-click line when i get home tonight on my tablet pc

Beans

Smile Re: HOW-TO Install VAG-COM using Wine

I was able to successfully install my old "ISO-COM" serial VAG-COM in WINE without issue. Here are my stats:

Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn
    Wine version: 0.9.41
    VAGCOM version: 311.2n
    Computer: Dell Latitude D800 Laptop w/built in serial port
    Car: 96 VW Passat TDI

I just followed all the default prompts in Wine and VAG-COM. Hooked up the OBD-II connector to the car and was able to connect to the Engine controller and the Air Bag controller.

Now it's time to completely get ride of my windows partition!

-illya

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pat2man View Post
    I have an older generic USB interface that works with the 311 version, works fine as long as you run:

ln -s /dev/usbTTY0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

Which links the device to the com1 port.
    I have a 3rd party USB VAG-COM cable which worked fine with VAG-COM in Windows but I can't get it to work with wine. The device gets recognised and the kernel loads the FTDI driver but I get "interface status :3 - not found or not ready" when I try to test the port in VAG-COM. Has anyone seen this? I have /dev/ttyUSB0 symlinked to ~/.wine/dos_devices/com1 and chmodded 777. I'm using VAG-COM 311.2 - N

Beans

I'm running 7.10 Beta & VAG-COM 311.2 & 3rd Party serial cable off eBay

Installed Wine with Wine-Doors deb

http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?page_id=3

That was it! Just worked!

md5 of my VAG-COM installer is 1944dd042b7fb754703a9e0967ff48b2

It's not the one currently available on their website, not sure if that makes a difference

Beans
    Distro

After my post above I got it to work and see the USB device through the serial>USB driver but it wouldnt actually talk to the car.

Are you using a USB or serial cable?

Beans

Ross-Tech uses FTDI USB-serial port -chip on they USB adapters and there is support for that on most newer kernels. not sure when it game but should be on 6.10+.

But they use their own pid's on windows drivers so there might be the reason why HEX-USB is not working. I'll do some testing for this asap.

Beans
    Distro

I'll have another good go too. I had to remove brltty to get the ftdi module to work correctly, now looks like it should work, haven't tried for a while though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast