Thread: 8.04 on VMware won't recognize video card

Beans

8.04 on VMware won't recognize video card

i'm using WMware workstation 6 on win XP, and i installed ubuntu 8.04 64bit
    i also installed on it the WMware tools.
    but it doesn't recognizes my ATI x1950 pro, in the draphic driver menu i see "vmvare video adapter"
    i tried to install the drivers from ATI site, and after what looked like a successful install i rebooted and it seemed like it cant find any driver. i could only use 800-600 resolution.

anyway i'm trying to get the cool desktop effects working, and the driver i have now won't let them..

any thoughts?

P.S. im new to linux so put it out as simple as possible

Beans

Re: 8.04 on VMware won't recognize video card

Im not sure the compiz visual effects will be able run in virtualbox, you may have to install to the hard drive although im not 100%

Beans

maybe, but i want it to recognize my video card anyway, for other stuff as well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

At this time neither VMware nor VirtualBox virtual machines recognize your physical video card. They use hard coded video card drivers (vmvare video adapter, etc) built into each virtualization program. You probably won't be able to get effects working on your virtual machine.
    From what I have read VMware has limited 3d functionality built into their Workstation Beta. But since it is a beta you take some risks running it.
    Old As Dust.