Thread: Buying a New Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Buying a New Laptop

Hi all, I'm just about to start a university course in october, and am getting a new computer for it, as my current (Toshiba) laptop is very old and breaking and doesn't like ubuntu at all (shutdown and restart problems resulting in a non-operative black screen to name but a few), so I was wondering if anyone knew of any laptops that work perfectly with ubuntu with little or no messing around.

I know Dell sells laptops with Ubuntu, but they seem to be pretty low spec for the money, and there being a Dell support sub-forum here on ubuntuforums.org doesn't fill me with confidence at the hardware/software compatibility side of things, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, my budget is set at a max of £650 (~$1250 / ~€820) but if there is a valid reason that I should pay any more I could be open to suggestions.

P.S. My budget may be way too high, as I haven't got a clue about pricing really as I haven't bought any hardware for about 5 years and really paid through the nose back then.

Thanks for all the help,

AliL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Buying a New Laptop

This seems to be a frequently asked question. There isn't one right answer and you didn't say what you want to use the laptop for specifically. But if you want a laptop to do many things and it seems like your concerned about performance, then look at the hp pavilions but for ease of set up I recommend going with all intel components.

BTW I created a poll here to try an discern which laptops are fully functioning in linux. Some of that might be helpful too.
    Last edited by phidia; August 6th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Buying a New Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by AliL View Post
    Hi all, I'm just about to start a university course in october, and am getting a new computer for it, as my current (Toshiba) laptop is very old and breaking and doesn't like ubuntu at all (shutdown and restart problems resulting in a non-operative black screen to name but a few), so I was wondering if anyone knew of any laptops that work perfectly with ubuntu with little or no messing around.

I know Dell sells laptops with Ubuntu, but they seem to be pretty low spec for the money, and there being a Dell support sub-forum here on ubuntuforums.org doesn't fill me with confidence at the hardware/software compatibility side of things, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, my budget is set at a max of £650 (~$1250 / ~€820) but if there is a valid reason that I should pay any more I could be open to suggestions.

P.S. My budget may be way too high, as I haven't got a clue about pricing really as I haven't bought any hardware for about 5 years and really paid through the nose back then.

Thanks for all the help,

AliL
    I have a Toshiba A205-S5859 that works perfectly OOB with Hardy.

I paid $600 USD for it new. I do not know it that particular model is available in the UK.

Look for the Intel Centrino laptops. They have the best compatibility.
    Windows XP - Excellent computer virus detector.
    Windows Vista - Most bloat for the money.

Visit my Ubuntu Resource Website http://www.stchman.com