Thread: Forgot to defrag Windows before creating Linux partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Forgot to defrag Windows before creating Linux partition

And now Windows won't boot.

I'm using an eeepc 1000h and thought it would be nice to keep the dual boot - I gave Windows 10 Gig using the partitioner on the installer...

Every piece of the Windows data is still on the machine, but of course, seems to be split over 4 partitions (hd0,0 hd0,1 hd0,2 and hd0,3). My Linux partition is hd0,4 , running Hardy Heron...

Is it worth trying to save Windows? or should I just do a fresh install (from a bootable USB)?

The other problem is that I can't mount usb drives - I even removed any refernces to the cd-rom in the /dev lists, as the tute I used said that would stop me having any trouble mounting devices...

Any help would be appreciated..

Tim..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Forgot to defrag Windows before creating Linux partition

I have to admit, I've never heard of Windows getting split over multiple HDD's.
    The only thing I could think of, is that when resizing the partition, maybe your Windows files are larger than 10GB total. I imagine that would cause problems.

I would sugges manually editing the partitions during installation, not using the guided partition helper. A lot of times, it can end up doing things you didn't know it was doing.

How I set mine up.
    Code:
       Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1       16573   133122591    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda2           16574       23989    59569020   83  Linux
    /dev/sda3           23990       24321     2666790   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    Basicaly, I just resized my Windows NTFS partition.
    And then created a Ext3 main partition, which is mounted to "/"
    Then a swap of about 2GB, even though it never gets used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Forgot to defrag Windows before creating Linux partition

If you've backed up most of your data or you can rescue it from in Ubuntu then it might be a good idea to reinstall Windows.

I can't imagine removing the cd-rom from /dev is a good idea though?

If it's not too much trouble to reinstall Windows then manually edit the partitions to create one for Ubuntu and a swap partition.

Once that's sorted out someone else can probably help with getting usb drives to work