Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CYMK in GIMP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: CYMK in GIMP?

Are you serious? I read before that one of the reasons they switched to GEGL is because it would make it easier to add CMYK and more than 8 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are running Jaunty, there is a gimp plugin for doing CYMK called Separate in the reposistories already. You need to install the following two packages to get the plugins and the adobe color profiles:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry
    sudo apt-get install icc-profiles
    Then you can convert your final image (make it all one layer first) to CYMK by going to Image -> Separate -> Separate in the gimp menus.

PS: when I tested this, it works even though it will complain about the color profiles being incorrect. Just ignore the error warnings and continue and it should work fine. The error warnings might be fixed already. This bug report has more info about that:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ry/+bug/353084

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Damn. I forgot I made this thread. It's almost a year old, too!

Beans

For the sake of simplicity I'm going to say that Plates and CMYK are the same thing ( I know there not but this is for simplicity sake)

A professional printer uses for printers for printing things, each will only print 1 colour (yes I know some can print all the colors)
    Cyan,
    Magenta,
    Yellow,
    Black.

A printer will make a plate for each colour and the flyer will get pressed with each plate which is supposed to make clearer crisper prints.

For a printer to do this it needs the separate colours profiles generated by a CMYK profile.

As long as the gimp crew can generate this information it doesn't matter weter there use CMYK system or another system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AJB2K3 View Post
    ... A professional printer uses for printers for printing things...
    great quote! LOL

I have had ok results from using the Colors/Components/Decompose plugin, then decompose to CMYK and uncheck save to layers. This will create four new images (a C,Y,M, and K) which you can save individually and then send to your printers. Essentially you are providing them masks for each color plate.

However, most printers don't really care if you send them an RGB these days because they will CMYK it on the fly.

64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12