Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Guide: Ubuntu on Gateway T-6836

Beans

Exclamation Re: Guide: Ubuntu on Gateway T-6836

Am i the only one who gets jaunty freezing suddlenly and randomly? when jaunty freezes i can only move the mouse but i cant use the keyboard, and no application responds. Im using the Gateway T-6836 with Jaunty on EXT4

Beans

Re: Guide: Ubuntu on Gateway T-6836

Upgrading Jaunty to kernel 2.28.13 removes the Audio from the Headphone Jack again! Does any one knows how to solve this again on the 2.28.13 kernel?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDITED

Upgrading to Kernel 2.6.30 Fixes again the headphone jack problem, and its said that it also fixes the freezing screen in Jaunty. You can update your kernel to 2.6.30 following This Link
    Last edited by enriqg9; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:22 AM.

Beans

Need help enabling VGA output in Gateway MA3

I have a Gateway MA3 Laptop running Ubuntu 9.04 using an external USB hard drive. I have to give a presentation (OpenOffice.org Presentation) using a video projector, but I am unable to output video through the VGA port. The Laptop's VGA controller is as follows: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [ Radeon Xpress 200M]. Please indicate a simple way to enable the VGA port with with my hardware. In an older, different kind of laptop I used to code "$sudo i810 switch crt on" to enable VGA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need help enabling VGA output in Gateway MA3

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsinius View Post
    I have a Gateway MA3 Laptop running Ubuntu 9.04 using an external USB hard drive. I have to give a presentation (OpenOffice.org Presentation) using a video projector, but I am unable to output video through the VGA port. The Laptop's VGA controller is as follows: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [ Radeon Xpress 200M]. Please indicate a simple way to enable the VGA port with with my hardware. In an older, different kind of laptop I used to code "$sudo i810 switch crt on" to enable VGA.
    Just to be clear, you've already tried - System > Preferences > Display?

Beans

Solved: Need help enabling VGA output in Gateway MA3

I entered in a Terminal the following code to find out what were my options: $xrandr -q
    Then I entered the following code to enable the VGA port:
    $ xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode [a specific resolution identified in the previous step].
    The problem I have now is that the resolution for the projector is suboptimal (i.e., I cannot see the right side of my desktop, and xrandr does not recognize the resolution that I need).

Beans

boop
    Last edited by kaoskorruption; July 7th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.

Beans

Hey folks, I've made a new forum thread for 9.04 for the T-6836. You can find it here. Let's continue the discussion there.

Beans

My sound suddenly stopped working completely. I suspect a recent update. Has this happened to anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

UPDATE: audio and lighting

I seemed to have found a crappy workaround for the lighting.
    If all of you want to play with installing kernels and trying to find the right one, then you can do that.

First off, I installed kernel 2.6.32.1 today.
    Yes, it's quite early, but I did it anyway, because I want to be a cool kid.

It seems like the headphones are fixed, but playing a video can cause some kind of weird lag. Opening the same music video again seems to fix the issue. I don't know what the issue is. I can indeed pull the headphones out and in and out and keep sound going. Awesome. No need for that alsa update with the 2.6.32.1 kernel I manually installed.

I added this line to my boot parameter

acpi_backlight=vendor

See?

Code:
    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32.1
    root		(hd0,2)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.1 root=UUID=f1c2f7dc-7e86-464d-87c6-9c229a412ca4 ro quiet acpi_backlight=vendor
    Then I went into gconf-editor via terminal

Get into /apps/metacity

Go into global_keybindings

/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_1
    value = 0x65

/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_2
    value = 0xd4

/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_3
    value = XF86Display

then go to keybinding_commands folder
    /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_1
    value=/apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_1
    /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_2
    value=xbacklight -inc 3
    /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_3
    value=xbacklight -set 100

Fn up = increase light
    Fn down = decrease light

Problems: some cpu lag occurs from playing with the decreasing and increasing. Sometimes increments are more than desire, so be careful not to blackout the screen. I would not suggest you hold down Fn and down key. Tap the down key.

Fn and F4 together set the lighting to 100%

I found the keybindings by playing with keyboard shortcuts. For volume mute, I played with Fn and down. It gave me a value, and I used that value as the key binding value for decreasing light. Your values might be different because of ubuntu; i'm on debian. but whatever. You'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Genecks; December 26th, 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Beans

Fixed
    Last edited by odwyerda; January 12th, 2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed probem, actually wasnt a problem. I left wine open and the camera monitor didnt notice it.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415