Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,020

    M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    With the Olympics just around the corner, looks like Linux users has no recourse but use Windows to view the Olympics.

    Even windows in vbox won't install the required silverlight plugins.

    Does anyone knows alternative sites other than NBC?
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Quote Originally Posted by xebian View Post
    With the Olympics just around the corner, looks like Linux users has no recourse but use Windows to view the Olympics.

    Even windows in vbox won't install the required silverlight plugins.

    Does anyone knows alternative sites other than NBC?
    Or you can just get moonlight which is the linux version.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Or you can get a cheap TV card with Free to air or Freeview capabilities (like in the UK) and tune into the BBC. Or get a free to air box. I'll probably record it if I can get a signal.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lyon/London
    Beans
    182
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Use Firefox for Windows under WINE!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,020

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Quote Originally Posted by Icehuck View Post
    Or you can just get moonlight which is the linux version.
    I might try this thanks. I hope I could get past NBC check for OS.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Forge the user agent string with this Firefox plugin:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,020

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    Or you can get a cheap TV card with Free to air or Freeview capabilities (like in the UK) and tune into the BBC. Or get a free to air box. I'll probably record it if I can get a signal.
    But not for non-UK viewers.
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    1,020

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    Forge the user agent string with this Firefox plugin:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59
    I tried (changing useragent) that already but no go. Somehow NBC checks the OS
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Probably activex. You might have to try WINE with the switcher.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    247
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: M$+NBC locking out Linux user

    Couldn't care less.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •