Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install stalls on "Loading Linux Kernel"

Install stalls on "Loading Linux Kernel"

Hi,

Computer is a Thinkpad T42 that I just got, it came with no OS. When I made the ubuntu CD a few weeks ago, I followed all of the proper procedure as outlined in the official documentation.

So yeah, I boot with CD in, language menu comes up, I pick english, box comes up saying "Loading Linux Kernel", it gets to 100%, then nothing happens. I've tried several times. The longest I left it at this stage was about ten minutes. Any ideas on what this could be?

Also, I am by no means attached to Ubuntu, I've never even used it. I just need a free OS. Should I just try a bunch of other distros till I get one that loads properly?

Re: Install stalls on "Loading Linux Kernel"

Oh, and it's 8.04.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you verified that the ISO is good? I'd try to download and re-burn. If you're curious, I'd also try booting other distros to rule out hardware failure.

Yup, I verified the ISO. I doubt there's anyway around this without burning a bunch of installer cd's (a new Ubuntu one too) and trying them out. Frick, this is not how I wanted to spend my day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Actually.. try to boot another machine with that CD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flipteo View Post
    Hi,

Computer is a Thinkpad T42 that I just got, it came with no OS. When I made the ubuntu CD a few weeks ago, I followed all of the proper procedure as outlined in the official documentation.

So yeah, I boot with CD in, language menu comes up, I pick english, box comes up saying "Loading Linux Kernel", it gets to 100%, then nothing happens. I've tried several times. The longest I left it at this stage was about ten minutes. Any ideas on what this could be?

Also, I am by no means attached to Ubuntu, I've never even used it. I just need a free OS. Should I just try a bunch of other distros till I get one that loads properly?
    Hi there, I would recommend not giving up after 10 minutes, as the installer can sometimes appear to hang when it is actually still grinding away.

Your best bet however is to try the Alternate Install CD, which uses a text-based installer and has lower system requirements. It will run on computers with as little as 256mb of ram.

The Thinkpads have a pretty good reputation, so I bet we can solve this problem. Good luck!

Actually.. try to boot another machine with that CD.
    Yeah, I tried that on the only other computer I have. It's an archaic thinkpad i-series (celeron 433mhz, 32 mb of RAM). It got to the same stage 'loading linux kernel' - 100% completed. But the comp appeared to still be doing stuff (hdd was active). I'm assuming this is just because the system is so old. It probably wouldn't even work anyway. Or maybe it would eventually progress beyond this point if I left it do it's thing for a few hours. But back to the T42 - after it got to the 'kernel 100% loaded' part, the computer didn't seem to be doing anything. The only thing seemingly active was the battery charging.

Hi there, I would recommend not giving up after 10 minutes, as the installer can sometimes appear to hang when it is actually still grinding away.

Your best bet however is to try the Alternate Install CD, which uses a text-based installer and has lower system requirements. It will run on computers with as little as 256mb of ram.

The Thinkpads have a pretty good reputation, so I bet we can solve this problem. Good luck!
    Yeah, I'll give it one more try. I'll go do my laundry or something. Maybe it is still 'grinding away'.

The bad part in all this I don't have a burner on this piece of crap I'm on now. So I'll have to see if I can find someone who will let me spend some time on their system.

Btw, this new thinkpad that I got has a windows xp COA sticker on the bottom of it. Does that mean I could perhaps snag a copy of xp through some means, question mark (sorry, my computer is not allowing me to type question marks).

Beans

Yeah, you won't have any luck with the i-series because the Ubuntu Live CD requires 384mb of ram--you would need 11 of those guys to have enough ram, lol!

What are the specs on your T42? Like I said before, if you have 256-383mb of ram, you'll need the alternate CD. And there's also a lighter version of Ubuntu called Xubuntu that is worth checking out if you don't have the specs for Ubuntu.

ps Most of us will advise you to stick with Linux instead of XP.

Wooo-hoo! Its doing stuff! I just tried the disc again and it almost immediately got past the kernel loading screen. Things are cooking!

Yeah, you won't have any luck with the i-series because the Ubuntu Live CD requires 384mb of ram--you would need 11 of those guys to have enough ram, lol!
    Lol, yeah, I saw that RAM requirements somewhere. You get used to pushing the boundaries when you have a computer like this.

Yeah, my t42 has 512 of RAM, so that shoudnt be an issue.

SPeaking of the t42, Ive got the install screen box with the trippy looking van gogh goose desktop. Im in baby!

The only thing I did differently this time was I inserted the installer CD with the computer already on. It was booting up, looking for an OS. I dunno.

It's installed! Now to work out the kinks.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone.

Also, one last question. It's telling me there are 90 some updates to install, like 150 megs worth. Is there ever any reason not to install an update in Ubunutu? Is it unlike windows and windows programs in that regard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast