Thread: Install Kubuntu desktop now can't leave kdm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Install Kubuntu desktop now can't leave kdm

Hi, I recently installed ubuntu on my dell inspiron 530. I thought it was sweet. so then I wanted to see what Kubuntu was like. then I decided to stick with just normal ubuntu so I ran sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop in ubuntu. but now I can't leave kdm because I wasn't thinking and chose that instead of gdm and I want to get back to gdm. and also I don't have the shutdown or restart buttons when I click the log off icon. I have to log out and then click shutdown on the kdm menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Install Kubuntu desktop now can't leave kdm

you dont have a button called "sessions" at the login screen? if you click that you can click gnome and it will boot into gdm
    Desktop:Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2048MB DDR2-800 RAM 512 MB GeForce 9600GT 74 GB SATA WD RAPTOR @ 10K RPM - Hardy Heron 8.04
    Laptop:Asus C90s - Intel Core2Duo @2.13 Ghz 2048MB DDR-667 RAM 512MB GeForce 8600 120GB SATA @ 7200 RPM - Hardy Heron 8.04

Beans

Cool Re: Install Kubuntu desktop now can't leave kdm

How about reinstalling all the important gnome desktop packages? It will be a lot of updates though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I tried changing the session but still that didn't work. but I did however fix the problem of logging in by uninstalling kde
    but however that's not the end of the problem. it still uses the kubuntu style for my interface which I don't get do you think you could help. like it won't change the icon theme either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I really waste ppls precious time. I'm sorry. All is well now...I think. I turned on my computer this morning and everything was fine. it seems this happens every time I create a thread about it. well thanks guys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Please mark this thread as solved.
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.