Thread: Firefox 3 url stuck on yahoo search

Beans

Firefox 3 url stuck on yahoo search

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I have done extensive searching for a solution, and nothing has worked.

The firefox 3 search bar always does a yahoo search regardless of what I change the config to. I went to about:config and changed keyword.url to the google "I'm feeling lucky" search but using the url bar still brings up a yahoo search. Desperately, I also went into usr/lib/firefox3/searchplugins/ and deleted the yahoo.xml file. It didn't have any effect, but like I said, I'm desperate. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04. I thought this was a firefox problem, but none of the solutions I have found on the internet have worked so far. I have never used yahoo messenger or yahoo toolbar. Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Firefox 3 url stuck on yahoo search

At the left hand end of the Firefox search box, there should be a little Yahoo logo and a downward pointing arrow. Click on the arrow, and select the search engine you want to use.

Beans

Thank you for your response. However, I was referring to the url bar. Using a UMPC makes ctr-L much easier for entering searches. However, the searching in the url bar only displays a yahoo search, even though I specified google in about:config.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

OK - sorry - I now see what you mean. Lots of people seem to have this problem, and it may be an issue with the default search engine used by their ISP rather than with Firefox - see for example http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

[Edit] See also http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...rd-search.html which suggests a possible solution.
    Last edited by cpetercarter; August 5th, 2008 at 08:59 PM.

Beans

Thank you very much for the replies. I must agree with the last poster in your first link. This only began happening when I upgraded to firefox 3.0. I did not think about it being a DNS issue with my ISP. I will post in the morning after I give them a call. Hopefully the thread will be marked solved.