Thread: .rpm or .tar.gz ? which should I install

Beans

.rpm or .tar.gz ? which should I install

I am trying to install a citrix client, for use with firefox. The client is available as either a .tar.gz or a .rpm file. I have had success installing .tar.gz files ,but the last time I tried instaling this citrix client it did not work. Is it better to install the .rpm? Also how do I uninstall a program that, I did not get from the ubuntu repositories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: .rpm or .tar.gz ? which should I install

.rpm is not supported for Ubuntu however you can use some .rpm packages with "alien"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by AskForID View Post
    I am trying to install a citrix client, for use with firefox. The client is available as either a .tar.gz or a .rpm file. I have had success installing .tar.gz files ,but the last time I tried instaling this citrix client it did not work. Is it better to install the .rpm? Also how do I uninstall a program that, I did not get from the ubuntu repositories?
    You can use the command line utility alien to convert the rpm to deb. It may not work for sure, but you can give it a try.

You can install alien from the repos.

Hope that helps you.

EDIT: gjoellee was faster

Beans

so, far this is th best explanation I have found for how to install things on ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-app...tall-file.html

and these are the instructions I am going to try.

http://bernaard.iceleaf.net/citrix-ubuntu/

it seems to me that rpms are not the perfered method of installing non repository applications.
    Last edited by AskForID; August 5th, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: clarification