Newbie - NFTS files deleted - pre-installation problem
In trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 I somehow managed to delete important files on my second harddrive. It happened when I merged two partitions on the drive and formatted for nfts. I assumed that the files on the nfts partition would remain untouched....BIG MISTAKE....should have back up files. Hind sight is always 20/20 but in the heat of moment:

I am running off of Ubuntu CD since I started thisI have downloaded Foremost with the hope of files recovery but I am unable to install it to a DVD. I get, I wasn't able to extract it from the tar file. TI kept getting "Can't find "burn///Foremost" is it that I need to use a CD? he reason that I was trying to extract to a DVD was to not write over the lost files on the second hard drive.

I wasn't able tried to download TestDisk to see if I could run it to resurrect the lost files but wasn't able to unload.

I have used the Gnome Terminal and added myself with administrative privelege so that I could use the sudo command.

Is there any way that I can recover the lost files as some of them were old scanned photo's for our genealogical records.(We no longer have the photo's so a rescan is out of the question.

I hope that there is a method to correct my error. Thanks