Thread: totem missing text/uri-list decoder / All missing plugins are blacklisted

Beans

totem missing text/uri-list decoder / All missing plugins are blacklisted

I have an annoying problem with Totem on Hardy. It works fine on other machines but not on this one.

When you try to play a playlist you'll get an error message saying:

An error occurred, The playback of this movie requires a text/uri-list decoder plugin which is not installed.

From the console:

HTML Code:
    rfd@rfdesktop01:~$ totem
    ** Message: Error: A text/uri-list decoder plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.
    gstdecodebin.c(792): close_pad_link (): /play/decodebin0:
    No decoder to handle media type 'text/uri-list'

** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|text/uri-list decoder|decoder-text/uri-list (text/uri-list decoder)
    no application found
    ** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.
    ** Message: Error: A text/uri-list decoder plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.
    gstdecodebin.c(792): close_pad_link (): /play/decodebin1:
    No decoder to handle media type 'text/uri-list'

** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|text/uri-list decoder|decoder-text/uri-list (ignoring)
    The gstreamer plugin is installed and I noticed that it worked fine as root. And also if I as root execute totem as user rfd with sudo like this..
    HTML Code:
    root@rfdesktop01:/# sudo -u rfd totem
    I've tried to change the permissions on everything I can find regarding gstreamer and totem. Done a complete remove and reinstalled everything and it doesn't help.

If i remove gstreamer and run totem as root it will ask me to install the missing plugin. But as a user i'll just get the missing plugin message.

'All missing plugins are blacklisted, doing nothing' :/

Beans

Re: totem missing text/uri-list decoder / All missing plugins are blacklisted

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-gst0.10 python-glade2 libgnomevfs2-extra
    This worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Also check if the libtotem-plparser10 package is installed. If it is, then try to reinstall it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Also check if the libtotem-plparser10 package is installed. If it is, then try to reinstall it.
    In 9.04 / jaunty, this error occurs too.

The package to install / dpkg-reconfigure -phigh is 'libtotem-plparser-dev'

(Unsure if it was best to make a new thread or bump this.)

Beans
    Hidden!

I have the same issue, but installing libtotem-plparser-dev did NOT fix it.

Beans

None of the above approaches worked. I had the same error message when trying to play a streaming video using realplay. The best method to fix this problem for me was to follow the instructions in Complete Streaming, Multimedia & Video How-to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=661833 (25 Apr 2008) for ubunty 8.04 hardy, or a more recent howto http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 (26 May 2009) for more recent ubuntu distros. Actually, I started with the instructions in the new howto until the section that is applicable to ubuntu 8.10 and higher; after that I followed the older howto for ubuntu 8.04. I installed mplayer as instructed; it worked for streaming videos. No more error messages.

Beans

I've got the same problem with this error message in Arch Linux. Wondering what to install!

Beans

I've installed RealPlayer, and opened the RTSP(google it) uri, than it played me.

[ Download RealPlayer | my test stream: Truman's Radio Report to the American People on the Potsdam Conference - August 9, 1945]

Otherwise, download the file, open with a text editor. There will the URI(s), and the protocol(s). Try in VNC, QuickTime, RealPlayer, or google for that protocol type.

The text/uri-list mime is only a list of stream uri(s)...
    Last edited by Rolandmaffia; May 18th, 2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo, more text