Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot problems.

Beans

Dual Boot problems.

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple weeks now, and everything has been working fine. However, I have reason to switch to Windows. When I installed Ubuntu, I did so as a dual boot to Windows, and at the restart it always asked me whether or not to boot either one.

However, now it goes straight to Ubuntu, and when I try looking around, I still can't find Windows. Is it buried somewhere in the laptop, or has some ill-fate overtaken the laptop?

Will I be forced to reinstall Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual Boot problems.

Can we see your "/boot/grub/menu.lst" file. It may just need tweaked a bit to find the correct drive.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Using the terminal post the output of
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro

If it needs tweaking you can install a program called "startupmanager" which edits the "menu.lst" file for you using the Graphic User Interface. You can install it via Synaptic or via terminal
    sudo apt-get install startupmanager
    Hope this works
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans

Well, I typed it into the terminal and it replied that there was no such file or directory...

Did I type something wrong?

Beans
    Distro

Probably you thought that the "lst" part was "1st". The command has an l (lower case L) not a 1 (one)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    If it needs tweaking you can install a program called "startupmanager" which edits the "menu.lst" file for you using the Graphic User Interface. You can install it via Synaptic or via terminal Hope this works
    +1

Then you find it by going to System > Administration > Startup-Manager and see this:

Screenshot-StartUp-Manager.png

Note: I clicked the "toggle" to the right of "default operating system" to expand the operating system menu.

If Windows is in the list be sure and (tick) Show Bootloader Menu and Show Boot Splash.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; August 5th, 2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added (tick) to the last line.

Beans

Alright. I did the start up manager, and all it shows is Ubuntu.

Did XP just mysteriously disappear?
    Last edited by Warpster Buntu; August 5th, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

Beans

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Within Ubuntu can you see the windows partition under places? Or do you have it mounted?

If not do "fdisk -l" to list the partitions and see if we can even mount it.

Still need to see the "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" copy and paste.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast