Thread: sudoers list error

Beans

sudoers list error

I was just trying to get rtorrent to run at startup on my little server at home when all of a sudden my admin account is no longer on the sudoers list. I just get the error stating i'm not on the sudoers list and that a report has been sent. I can then check my mail and see the report that i tried to sudo something... becuase i'm the admin.

I don't know how this happened; the last thing i'd done is added the line "rtorrent" to a file (that i just forgot the name of) that apparantly runs rtorrent as root on startup.

I'm betting i will just have to delete my server and start over again... sometimes i hate ubuntu's lack of recovery from things like this. thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: sudoers list error

If you select "recovery mode" in the GRUB menu, it will boot you into a command line as root. Then you can add your admin account back into the group.

You can add a user to a group with the command "useradd -G group-name username".
    Last edited by mb_webguy; August 5th, 2008 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: sudoers list error

Quote Originally Posted by lil_niles View Post
    I was just trying to get rtorrent to run at startup on my little server at home when all of a sudden my admin account is no longer on the sudoers list. I just get the error stating i'm not on the sudoers list and that a report has been sent. I can then check my mail and see the report that i tried to sudo something... becuase i'm the admin.

I don't know how this happened; the last thing i'd done is added the line "rtorrent" to a file (that i just forgot the name of) that apparantly runs rtorrent as root on startup.

I'm betting i will just have to delete my server and start over again... sometimes i hate ubuntu's lack of recovery from things like this. thanks for any help
    just reboot and select recovery mode then add your user back to the admin group.

Code:
    usermod -aG admin <your_user_name>
    Last edited by Oldsoldier2003; August 5th, 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: added code tags...