Thread: Stuck at "Installing System: 15% (Detecting File Systems)" on Dell Inspiron 8500

Beans

Question Stuck at "Installing System: 15% (Detecting File Systems)" on Dell Inspiron 8500

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8500 and I am trying to install Ubuntu.

Everything works fine until I hit this problem:

Installing System
    15%
    Detecting File Systems...

And it freezes right here. It just stops and you can't even hear the computer booting anymore from the CD. So I've had to just power the laptop off.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? The laptop has also reached the point of needing the install disk (It won't boot to Windows XP anymore).

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thank you.

Beans

Re: Stuck at "Installing System: 15% (Detecting File Systems)" on Dell Inspiron 8500

This is a problem with my Dell Optiplex GX260, any help would be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Stuck at "Installing System: 15% (Detecting File Systems)" on Dell Inspiron 8500

Quote Originally Posted by titanllands View Post
    This is a problem with my Dell Optiplex GX260, any help would be appreciated
    Mine too. This time it's an HP Omnibook 7150 with 192MB Ram and I'm trying to install Xubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dyba View Post
    My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8500 and I am trying to install Ubuntu.

Everything works fine until I hit this problem:

Installing System
    15%
    Detecting File Systems...

And it freezes right here. It just stops and you can't even hear the computer booting anymore from the CD. So I've had to just power the laptop off.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? The laptop has also reached the point of needing the install disk (It won't boot to Windows XP anymore).

I would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thank you.
    I did not understand the problem. You have widows installed on the labtop and you install ubuntu as a second operating system or the inverse?

Beans

Does the Live CD work on your system? That's a good way to determine any hardware problems ahead of trying an actual install.

Assuming the Live CD works okay but the install still fails: Give the Alternate Install CD a try. It uses a text-based installer which sometimes succeeds where the Live CD's graphical installer fails.

(edit) ps it could just be that your hard drive is failing, which would explain why XP won't boot any more

Beans

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my Dell Inspiron 8500 and found that it took about 5 hours to do. At times it appeared to have stopped altogether but I noticed that the status message above the progress bar kept changing and so allowed it to continue. There are problems with the displaying of graphics which I have raise in another post. I'm a complete newcomer and other than relate my experiences I'm sorry that I can't offer any other advice.