Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon Mobility HD 3470 Installation Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Radeon Mobility HD 3470 Installation Problem

Hi all,

I've Asus M51Se240DV notebook which uses ATI Radeon Mobilitiy HD 3470 Graphic card and 3GB DDR2 RAM. In both of installations, 64bit and 32bit, it gives an error and drops to console. It cannot start X server. I couldn't remember all of the error message, but it is about X server. The graphic card cannot be identified by the X server. I've tried to change Driver option to mesa and ati but it again doesn't work. Also, I've tried installation with alternate cd, however, it cannot start after the installation and dropped to console. I've googled internet, but i couldn't find anything working.

I'm prisoned to vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Radeon Mobility HD 3470 Installation Problem

Does anybody has any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Are you having a problem with a finished hard-disk installation, or with getting the Live CD or Alternate Install CD to run?

If the problem is with a finished installation, try booting in Recovery Mode (grub menu option). Choose the xfix option. That should get you a working desktop, but with poor resolution and no accelerations. If you get that far, then there are other things to try to get a better desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dstew View Post
    Are you having a problem with a finished hard-disk installation, or with getting the Live CD or Alternate Install CD to run?

If the problem is with a finished installation, try booting in Recovery Mode (grub menu option). Choose the xfix option. That should get you a working desktop, but with poor resolution and no accelerations. If you get that far, then there are other things to try to get a better desktop.
    In Live CD, I couldn't open the installation screen. Otherwise, alternate cd can open the installation and finished it. However, It couldn't run the X server. I tried xfix and changing the driver option in xorg.conf as I said, but they don't fix anything.

I've also reported it as a bug.
    Last edited by ukaratay; August 6th, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Adding Bug Link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What happens when you boot in Recovery Mode, to a command line? Can you get that far?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What happens when you boot in Recovery Mode, to a command line? Can you get that far?
    Yes, I can get there and i tried xfix and changing driver option in xorg.conf manuelly. But they don't work, same problem still remains.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After you boot to the command line, and type startx, what error messages do you get?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

After you boot to the command line, and type startx, what error messages do you get?
    Firstly, it gives memory error. Then, I change the driver option manuelly to ati and it gives no screen found.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I solved the problem, it's about memory management. Before boot, adding
    Code:
    mem=2900M
    to kernel line solved the problem.

Beans

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem, only I'm using a M51S-1AAS, T8300, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD.

Could you guide me to what I'm supposed to write & where ?
    I've tried adding "mem=4096M" (value that the memtest86 gave) to the end of the kernel line of the normal boot, but it still hangs on
    "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"
    and the screen flashes.

Please help & thank you.

Alex.
    Last edited by aconstantin; August 22nd, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast