Thread: Howto print a postscript file in Gutsy?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Howto print a postscript file in Gutsy?

Hi,
    I guess it is a very stupid question, but for now I couldn't find any solution.
    I have a .ps PostScript file (printed on a Windows machine with a PS driver fitting to that printer connected to my Gutsy machine), which I want to print including all formatting and layout under KUbuntu Gutsy.

What is the simplest way to print the ps file?

Thanks
    Achim

Beans

Re: Howto print a postscript file in Gutsy?

If you open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    lpr filename.ps
    then that should print the postscript file "filename.ps" to your default printer. (Alternatively, double-click on the postscript file to open it in whatever document-viewer is the default; then just select "Print" from the File menu.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The console command lpr prints nonsens, three pages of paper with e.g. "ERROR invaldfont", "STACK:"... an some other stuff.

And within KDE is no application registered to react on the double-click, so Kate is starting and showing me the ASCII sources of the .ps file.

What document-viewer do you mean for example in KDE is responsible for PostScript files and able to print it???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Try printing with the -l option. A PostScript file is already formatted for the printer so it might be necessary to disable filtering.
    Code:
    lpr -l file.ps
    Also, ensure you have the PRINTER environment variable set to the correct name of the printer you want to print with. Otherwise use the -P option.
    Code:
    lpr -P PrinterName file.ps
    You may also want to try the cupsdoprint tool. It's a KDE command line tool to print files. See the cupsdoprint man page for details.

As for the viewer, install the kghostview package.

EDIT: post the error messages. From what you posted it looks like the document might be using a font you don't have installed.
    Last edited by x1a4; August 4th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks a lot thats it:
    I tried KGhostView (of course, I prefere KDE over command-line . It was installed, but not visible in the "K" Menue, so after manually adding it there I was able to start it also from within the menue.
    The next problem was, that it was not able to render my .ps files. The file was generated from the PostScript printer driver of a Windows XP machine. KGhostView simply shows nothing when opening the generated files, all pags are white. But when trying to print it, the preview function and the printed paper contains all I need.

Thanks for the fast answers
    Achim

Beans

First off, please mark the thread solved, so others can benefit from your answers.

Then, the reason you can't see anything may be a font issue. That is, the fonts Win used aren't installed in KDE. If you're dual booting, you can just symlink your Win fonts directory to a Fonts directory in Ubuntu (I did that so long ago I can't remember how, now, but you can google symlink).
    Last edited by editrix; August 5th, 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by editrix View Post
    (I did that so long ago I can't remember how, now, but you can google symlink).
    Code:
    ln -s TARGET LINK_NAME
    or using Konqueror just drag the file from one directory to another and select you want to create a symlink from the menu.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens