Thread: [SOLVED] Video scrambled on 8.04.1 install

Beans

Angry [SOLVED] Video scrambled on 8.04.1 install

I am running version 7 of Ubuntu and when I boot the 8.04.1 install the initial screen comes up with diagonal bars on the screen. When I use safe graphics mode it is totally non viewable. I loaded on another system with a different motherboard OK. I am running an MSI Motherboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Video scrambled on 8.04.1 install

Quote Originally Posted by gilman22 View Post
    I am running version 7 of Ubuntu and when I boot the 8.04.1 install the initial screen comes up with diagonal bars on the screen. When I use safe graphics mode it is totally non viewable. I loaded on another system with a different motherboard OK. I am running an MSI Motherboard.
    Hi and welcome, could you give us some specs on the system you are having issues with? Like graphics, memory and so on.

Beans

The Motherboard is an MSI P4M900M2-L with a VIA P4M900 Northbridge. The graphics on the Northbridge is an S3 Graphics Chrome9 HC Integrated Graphics Core. The system has 512 meg of RAM.

Beans
    Distro

The Motherboard is an MSI P4M900M2-L with a VIA P4M900 Northbridge. The graphics on the Northbridge is an S3 Graphics Chrome9 HC Integrated Graphics Core. The system has 512 meg of RAM.
    Ok the S3 graphics can be a issue. If you are booting the live cd you can try when you reach the screen to start/install ubuntu press F6 and edit the kernel line and remove quiet splash and add vga=771 or 775 before the -- then press enter.
    I have heard users even using 778 and this has help. The support for the S3 graphics is not good. If this is a onboard graphics then you may look at adding a graphics card.

Beans

Angry Re: Video scrambled on 8.04.1 install

Thanks for the help. It didn't work. Is there a way I can get 8.04.0 that seems to be working?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help. It didn't work. Is there a way I can get 8.04.0 that seems to be working?
    You may try the alternate cd for the installation as it is a text based install. So it is not the live cd but if you want to install and then try and configure the graphics afterwards.

Beans

Wink Re: Video scrambled on 8.04.1 install

Turns out I had to install 7.10 and then update via the Web to get it to work. Thanks for your help.