Thread: Problem with keyboard

Beans
    Hidden!

Problem with keyboard

I've owned a Microsoft (yes, from Redmond) Wireless Desktop Elite (mouse and keyboard) since 2005 and it has served me well since.

However, I faced a few problems two weeks ago regarding the keyboard.

1. Inability to hold down a key
    I don't know how to phrase this. For example, when I hold down "w" in a text field, only "www" or "wwwww" (of any random arbitrary length) appears. Ideally the "w"s should continue for as long as I hold them, but sadly it didn't happen.

It applies to all keys, including Backspace and other keys. It's frustrating.

Otherwise, all keys work normally with a single tap.

2. Erratic behaviour; "phantom key"

I dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu, and I configure GRUB to load at start up to let me choose my OS.

Usually there will be a time-out of 10 seconds (then the default OS will be booted) and by default, pressing any key causes the timeout to cancel.

Now the timeout cancels by itself (I saw a flicker of the timeout). It's conclusive that a key was pressed, but I pressed no key!

When typing in text fields, sometimes the cursor shifts back on its own as if the Left key was being held down. I have to type at godspeed to go around this issue.

3. Beeps

Occasionally I will hear beeps from the computer itself (not speakers) when I type. Does anybody know what does it mean? (it's the beep you hear when you type wrong stuff in Ubuntu)

4. Fixes I Tried

Normal behaviour occurs occasionally, but right now I'm typing, I'm struggling.

Since my keyboard is wireless, I have tried reconnecting the wireless base and the keyboard many times but to no avail.

I also tried Windows. Behaviour is the same.

Any help will be truly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Problem with keyboard

Try replacing the batteries with a fresh set.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hmm I tried it, but it still doesn't work.

I'm probably getting a new keyboard (very cheap nowadays). But does anybody have an idea why a keyboard should suddenly screw-up like this? I don't like my investments going away just like that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by darrenfoong View Post
    Hmm I tried it, but it still doesn't work.

I'm probably getting a new keyboard (very cheap nowadays). But does anybody have an idea why a keyboard should suddenly screw-up like this? I don't like my investments going away just like that.
    Sometimes dirt and dust gets into them - I've got a USB keyboard that I pulled apart the other day because of a spurious "w" appearing whenever I pressed the space bar, it was amazing how much muck was in it. (It's awaiting further attention, all I managed to achieve was to disable the space bar!)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.